• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC hobby getting expensive

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
I think this is a discussion that we need to have. There are so many different ways of doing things, so many sources for RC products, and so many new Rc offerings that we need to hear each others experiences and philosophies.

Having said this, I'll go first and challenge all of you to look at the ways we can make things work, and not demean those with whom we disagree.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
There are many ways to save money and buying used equipment is certainly one of them. BUT, batteries is not one of them. IMHO, buying used or cheap batteries is the worst investment you can make. The difference in the cost between high quality batteries and cheap batteries is directly tied to the value of the plane that you put them in. You only have to lose one plane to battery failure to lose 10x the amount the amount you saved.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
The best way to save money on batteries is to use the same kind in every application. I use only A123's. RX, ignition, accessories, etc. AND, I buy them only from vendors that guarantee them to be first quality, genuine batteries, sourced only from A123. Radical RC, Electrodynam, and NoBS are the ones that I know for sure offer the real deal. One type of battery, one type of charger, one type of connectors, interchangeability between planes, long life and NO FIRES!!! That's a peace of mind that's hard to find in our hobby.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
I've followed an old analogy but its has worked for me this last 16 years of being in the hobby and thats "fly only what you can afford to lose"
That's why I don't fly jets. I'd cry like a little girl if I spent $7,000 on a plane and then turned it into a smoking pile of trash.

I learned my lesson the hard way in the early days about using inferior products sold by vendors who use hype to get you to buy from them. A well known competition heli pilot once said don't buy what you can't afford to fix. This hobby is like anything else out there that people enjoy such as racecars, bassboats, etc. The higher the performance you want to achieve the higher the price.