• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

How would you make a canopy mold?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
don't overheat the plastic and make sure there are a lot of holes in the table to suck the air out from under the plastic. the plastic needs to be lowered down onto the plug nice and straight or it might pull if it's moving sideways at all when it first touches the plug

it might take four or five tries to get the temp and amount of sag just right to get the end result perfect

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I'm out of town today but can try to find pics. PETG is definitely the material of choice. I used plaster of Paris, Bondo and epoxy primer to finish my plug. I made a few myself by building a box with a ceramic heater laying flat inside it. Put the PETG flat on top in a frame and it heats evenly.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Here is my oven, table, and the frame with the one I pulled from Plexiglas. Maybe I need another element to heat the plastic quicker, when I put the plastic on and cover with the lid it only takes about a minute to heat to 310°. But I do have to put the lid on and pre-heat the space prior to starting. I put the temp gauge between the lid and plastic frame to assure it has reached the temp.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 602
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 575
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 567
  • 075.JPG
    075.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 571
I used a luan base, some white beaded foam and lots of bondo.

I used a jitter bug sander for the initial shape and then some 180 grit paper, all in the foam. Then once I got my desired shape, I laid 3 layers of 8oz glass cloth down with finishing resin. Not being too careful with how much I used, etc..... Just don't want any high bumps or raises in the glass cloth. Then about a 3/8" layer of bond, more for shaping. I got alot of info from Rick at fiber tech. I ended up taking my mold to a local shop, and the they pulled a female from my male canopy mold, to make a new male canopy mold. Ended up getting 3 pretty good canopies. None were perfect, but all very usable. :)

PETG is perfect for canopies. It is harder to cut, but they are very rigid!

here they are these are sanded balsa blocks the canopy was made in two pieces.

Attachments

• DSCF3546.JPG
    DSCF3546.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 577
  • DSCF3546.JPG
    DSCF3546.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 521
  • DSCF3542.JPG
    DSCF3542.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 595
  • DSCF3547.JPG
    DSCF3547.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 517
  • DSCF3544.JPG
    DSCF3544.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 560
  • DSCF3545.JPG
    DSCF3545.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 543

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
You guys have given me a lot to consider and I thank you. With all I have read here and elsewhere I think I will go the glass over foam method. Mostly because it will be a light plug and from what a semi-local vac company employee has explained to me light is what I need.
Thank you to everyone for your responses.

Here is one of my canopy's that I made for my self designed bearcat. I made the plug out of bondo and pulled a PETG plastic canopy. It came out pretty good but not as clear as I would have liked. I also made a two piece cowling mold that would allow me to build up a fiberglass cowl inside.
bearcat01.jpg