• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Mike Hurley Extra

TonyHallo

150cc
The Hurley Extra brings back some great memories. I built two back when the plane was featured in MA, flew one and sold the other in the bones. The one I flew was built with foam rib wings and the other was foam core per plans. The foam rib wings were 6 ounces lighter each than the foam core wing version. I cut the cores from 1# virgin foam. Had to borrow the neighbors pickup truck to haul all the foam blocks home.
I later built an Extra 200 using three views from the Extra service manual and techniques used in the Hurley design. It was modeled after a full scale photo found on Airliners.net. Foam rib wings and stab, ZDZ80J engine.
It's no longer with us!!!
1146273.jpg
IMG_0531.JPG
IMG_0167.jpg

Attachments

• Extra 200 Dimensins CH06.pdf
    83.9 KB · Views: 508

sps3172

New to GSN!
The Hurley Extra brings back some great memories. I built two back when the plane was featured in MA, flew one and sold the other in the bones. The one I flew was built with foam rib wings and the other was foam core per plans. The foam rib wings were 6 ounces lighter each than the foam core wing version. I cut the cores from 1# virgin foam. Had to borrow the neighbors pickup truck to haul all the foam blocks home.
I later built an Extra 200 using three views from the Extra service manual and techniques used in the Hurley design. It was modeled after a full scale photo found on Airliners.net. Foam rib wings and stab, ZDZ80J engine.
It's no longer with us!!!
View attachment 113552 View attachment 113553 View attachment 113554

Tony, can you share any details about the foam rib technique, especially as it applies to the Hurley Extra?

Last edited: