• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Mini lathe (and mill) discussion.

TonyHallo

150cc
Picked up a new to me Mill/Drill, Wholesale Tool KDM 15. Built in 1980, made in Taiwan, stlll has the cosmoline on it. Just a little bigger than mine but much more robust. It is in pieces in the back of my van. Need to get mine out of the way and start to build the new one in it's place. Photos to follow. Will be building a power feed and adding DRO.

Sounds like your old mill needs a new home??
Picked up a new to me Mill/Drill, Wholesale Tool KDM 15. Built in 1980, made in Taiwan, stlll has the cosmoline on it. Just a little bigger than mine but much more robust. It is in pieces in the back of my van. Need to get mine out of the way and start to build the new one in it's place. Photos to follow. Will be building a power feed and adding DRO.

TonyHallo

150cc
It does, trying to post it on Craig's list but can't seem to log it. I took it apart today and have the new base and column in place. Need a mag base drill to drill the mounting holes now. The old column was 2 5/8" x 3/16" wall, new column is 3 5/8" x 5/8" wall. New neighbor that moved in today helped me carry it into basement.

TonyHallo

150cc
Here are old and new shots. Still got a ways to go. I had to disassemble the head so that I could lift it onto the column, decided to replace the bearings in the spindle pulley shaft, felt a little stiff, I think it was the 42 year old grease. All the other bearing feel good. I may take the spindle bearings apart and repack, they are tapered roller bearings. I should have ran the machine before I took it apart but was just too excited. Ordered a three axis DRO today and will be installing that also. Need to extend the work bench top, the machine hangs over about 2 ". Need a set of R8 collets.

IMG_0705 Lathe Milll.JPG
IMG_2057.jpg