• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Ohio rc extra 300s 84"

I remember why I stopped flying it . Wife took a hammer to it and a few of my others in a alcohol induced rage years ago . I couldn't even look at the plane for years without my blood boiling... But that's the past... It was stored in my hot attic for years not sure that would make any difference .. I am curious on people's experience on batteries in the cowling with the engine I've seen pictures of it done don't know how much the heat may effect the batteries?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I would not worry about batteries under or within a cowl. Batteries actually perform there best power or out put at 40 degrees, up to 40 degrees no degradation will accrue to a battery.

thanks snoopy i can move the ignition and battery about 4 to 6 inches forward if i do that hopefully that will offset the need for a lot of lead

Rica1

New to GSN!
I remember why I stopped flying it . Wife took a hammer to it and a few of my others in a alcohol induced rage years ago . I couldn't even look at the plane for years without my blood boiling... But that's the past... It was stored in my hot attic for years not sure that would make any difference .. I am curious on people's experience on batteries in the cowling with the engine I've seen pictures of it done don't know how much the heat may effect the batteries?
Sorry to hear about the wife and hammer! Hopefully you got rid of the hammer, or the wife? I have never had to have batteries in a cowl but think it would be best to deflect or insulate from the heat. I've used plumbing pipe foam insulation for anti vibration, might insulate the heat. You might consider putting a spinner on the prop to take a greater amount of lead out. Let us know how it goes.

Yeah I was thinking some heat shield insulation myself. I agree with the spinner suggestion I have the worst luck with them I've broke 2 nice aluminum ones on this plane..

Up date I have removed all lead built a tray to fit in the cowling and moved ignition and ignition batteries forward . I also moved receiver battery behind the firewall and the plane balances perfect with no lead woohoo I don't think moving the receiver battery forward will create interference problems I hope ... Will be doing some extensive range testing soon. All up weight now is 19 lbs

Attachments

• IMG_20201003_152709828.jpg
    IMG_20201003_152709828.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 310

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Looked up some of my old records the same plane that you are working on at 19 lbs is heavy. I had the same plane with identical motor came in at 16 lbs 3 oz. loved the plane and flew great. Tried to find an old picture of mine but could not find it.

Looked up some of my old records the same plane that you are working on at 19 lbs is heavy. I had the same plane with identical motor came in at 16 lbs 3 oz. loved the plane and flew great. Tried to find an old picture of mine but could not find it.
Was your the Ohio rc kit or the proline revision proline lightened the build mine is the old Ohio rc ?

So I am very curious on this build I have the plans and am concidering another build lighter I am wanting to know how you guys build this plane lighter mine is 19 lbs but Snoopy says his was 16lbs and I seen a post in rc universe saying 15 lbs mine is built as plans show are you guys using less sheeting substituting materials?