• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale PJ 295

-Rick-

100cc
Has anyone here built a older kit from Trillium balsa, a 1/4 scale PJ 295? I was given this kit from a very kind gentleman and will be building it this coming winter. When he told me about the kit I had to look it up as I had never heard of this plane. It is a biplane and I believe my 70cc twin engine will fit in the cowl. The kit is very complete with even a few extras such as a fiberglass cowl and a canopy which he did not know was in the cowl box! It has a 81 inch top wing and can be built as a PJ 260.

I am excited to get started on this plane! It will be great to build a plane again that is all balsa and lite ply instead of any foam!!

Christavia

New to GSN!
I actually have a Senior Aero Sport kit on the shelf. I haven't decided what flavour to build (PJ-260 or PJ-295) but the plans show both versions. However, I'm leaning towards using this as the subject of the build. I'm a big fan of orange planes :cool: :

My kit is actually a Walt Moucha Models 1/4 scale kit. Curious if its the same kit as the Trillium... I've heard that the WMM version can be a little tail heavy so I'm considering an EME 70 with Autostart. If I need the nose weight, it might as well be useful weight :). I have a Sig 1/3 scale Spacewalker in the queue ahead of PJ-295.

Are you planning to do a build thread? If so, I'm in!!!

-Rick-

100cc
I actually have a Senior Aero Sport kit on the shelf. I haven't decided what flavour to build (PJ-260 or PJ-295) but the plans show both versions. However, I'm leaning towards using this as the subject of the build. I'm a big fan of orange planes :cool: :

My kit is actually a Walt Moucha Models 1/4 scale kit. Curious if its the same kit as the Trillium... I've heard that the WMM version can be a little tail heavy so I'm considering an EME 70 with Autostart. If I need the nose weight, it might as well be useful weight :). I have a Sig 1/3 scale Spacewalker in the queue ahead of PJ-295.

Are you planning to do a build thread? If so, I'm in!!!
Yes, I have heard of the Walt Moucha Models kit. I would not be surprised if my kit is the same. When I have a chance to get the plans out I will see if there is any mention of WMM. And yes my plans are also for the PJ 295 or 260. Also a two cockpit version, which might be for the 260.

I will do a build thread but I warn you, it will be very slow!

-Rick-

100cc
I will be putting a RCGF Stinger 70cc twin in mine. I have had very good luck with these engines. They are not as strong as the big names but oh so reliable! Mine can idle down to 900rpm but will sit all day at 1000rpm. We have a smaller field so that helps to bring the planes in. I also read about keeping the tail light. Mount the elevator and rudder sevros under the cockpit for sure and build light out back.

Christavia

New to GSN!
I will be putting a RCGF Stinger 70cc twin in mine. I have had very good luck with these engines. They are not as strong as the big names but oh so reliable! Mine can idle down to 900rpm but will sit all day at 1000rpm. We have a smaller field so that helps to bring the planes in. I also read about keeping the tail light. Mount the elevator and rudder sevros under the cockpit for sure and build light out back.
I just noticed that you're a fellow Canadian. I've been really interested in the RCGF Stinger engines as they look good on paper. We've had a couple of guys flying them around here and they seem to be solid engines. I see that AMR is stocking them now. Out here in Alberta, Pro-RC have been a good source for the EME engines and seem to support them reasonably well. I considered the DA-70, but its a bit wide for the cowling with the straight plugs. Even the angled plugged engines (EME and Stinger) may need some small blisters to clear the caps. By the way, I ordered a fiberglass cowl from Fiberglass Specialties. As usual, it's very light and well built.

We normally need to go to the top of the power range out here as the field elevation is about 3,500'. That tends to rob a little power and climb performance. Throw in 30 degree days and the density altitude is topping 6,000'!