• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

PM Research Mini Engine Lathe Build

I think this is a good place to post this project. It is going to be a learning experience for me mostly. I don't have much experience in fabrication, so this project should expand my horizons. It's a mini engine lathe kit from PM Research, and they have a lot of other small kits to choose from, if anyone is interested, and they are made in the good old USA. I'm going to use videos from Joe Pie to try and get through this build with minimal failures, I hope!

Attachments

• IMG_5728.jpg
    IMG_5728.jpg
    675.4 KB · Views: 89
A couple pics of the handwheels for the carrage and cross slide. I spent a lot of time with these little pieces so far.

Attachments

• Wheel 1.jpg
    Wheel 1.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 89
  • wheel 4.jpg
    wheel 4.jpg
    611.7 KB · Views: 94
Last night I got the handles made, from the supplied 1/8" brass round stock. The first one blew up, but I think I got the hang of turning small stock down a bit better over the process. The kit suplied enough to make 4 of these, but only requires 3, so I was in luck! I don't yet have any form tools, or blanks to make some, so I freehanded these and I think they are good enough for a kindergartener!

Attachments

• IMG_5762 (2).jpg
    IMG_5762 (2).jpg
    412 KB · Views: 91

TonyHallo

150cc
Nice work Steven.
On these hobby lathes you will find it difficult to use form tools due to chatter, you are better off doing it off hand and filing to the final shape. At least that's has been my experience.

Thanks Tony!
I'm learning that these small parts also don't have mutch tolerance for any kind of pressure. I've got to be a bit gentle with them. I can see where form tooling could be an issue for smaller parts, as well as regidity and power on these small machines for the larger parts. Thanks for the heads up! I'm going through the chatter growing pains as I go, especially with parting tools, and am learning to keep the tools sharp and on center, and lock down as much as possible! Been having some fun with it as well. Hope your feeling better!

Spent aoubt an hour last night setting up the mill to get one hole drilled. It's a little guy.

Attachments

• crank 2 (2).jpg
    crank 2 (2).jpg
    870.3 KB · Views: 78
  • crank 3 (2).jpg
    crank 3 (2).jpg
    842.3 KB · Views: 100

TonyHallo

150cc
Steven,
In regards to rigidity, two of the best mods are a solid 4 bolt tool pot holder and tapered gibs on the carriage. I did the 4 bolt tool post holder as soon as I got the lathe and just recently di the gib mod. It was shown in the August edition of the "The Home Shop Machinist" for the 7" lathe, using the same concepts for my 9" lathe. Before I could pick the carriage up several thousands, now zero.
IMG_1110.JPG
IMG_2243.jpg
IMG_2244.jpg