• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Redundant Receiver Installation

Mikeq

150cc
Earle here is a pic of my two servo set up set up on my yak if it helps...
the back servo passes the center servo with a cable before returning to it...that way if it or the rear becomes in-op or locked it doesn't prevent the other from working and visa-verse. On the 3 servo tray I cant quite figure out how the cables run...there is definitely a pulley on the last one...
3Xfloating_trays_1__15639.1397586265.1280.1280.jpg
kinda looks like the last servo runs all the way to the main arm????

AEROSHELDON

70cc twin V2
From the first post.... I thought the 14SG would do dual rx's? My 18MZ does because I do it but can you explain why the 14SG will not?

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Yep....I've looked at that pic till I'm cross-eyed and still can't tell exactly how everything is hooked up. Would love to see a drawing or schematic of it.

Mikeq

150cc
Yep....I've looked at that pic till I'm cross-eyed and still can't tell exactly how everything is hooked up. Would love to see a drawing or schematic of it.
Damn.it Earle...I guess I'll have to buy one just to see how it works...I can find plenty of two servo trays but no three servo trays....

JimD

50cc
From the first post.... I thought the 14SG would do dual rx's? My 18MZ does because I do it but can you explain why the 14SG will not?

The 14SG will do dual receivers, just like the 10C, but without telemetry (in which case it doesn't give me more than the 10C). It will do dual receivers with telemetry, but the channel assignment is NOT 1-8 on both receivers, but rather 1-8 on Rx#1 and 9-14 on Rx#2...at least that is what I got from reading the manual. The problem with this is both aileron servos and both elevator servos end up of Rx#1 and do not give the redundancy we were after.

Now that I think about it, I guess you could use the customizable mixing to create dual aileron and dual elevator outputs that use Rx#2. Problem with this is it doesn't let you take advantage of the preprogrammed mixing. Then their is S-Bus...Guess I am still living in the past and unable to embrace new technology. :sorry:

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Earle here is a pic of my two servo set up set up on my yak if it helps...
the back servo passes the center servo with a cable before returning to it...that way if it or the rear becomes in-op or locked it doesn't prevent the other from working and visa-verse. On the 3 servo tray I cant quite figure out how the cables run...there is definitely a pulley on the last one...
3Xfloating_trays_1__15639.1397586265.1280.1280.jpg
kinda looks like the last servo runs all the way to the main arm????

It starts at the top of the front pulley, loops to the first servo and back, then loops to the second servo and back, then loops to the third servo and back.

Madinpensacola

70cc twin V2
The JETI DS16 uses dual transmitters with each paired to its own receiver (2 on board) connected to a Central Bus. Complete redundancy with one set functioning as primary and the other as a "back up". Good stuff. True redundancy. :)

Wacobipe

100cc
The JETI DS16 uses dual transmitters with each paired to its own receiver (2 on board) connected to a Central Bus. Complete redundancy with one set functioning as primary and the other as a "back up". Good stuff. True redundancy. :)
That is the kind of redundancy I can believe in!

but the channel assignment is NOT 1-8 on both receivers, but rather 1-8 on Rx#1 and 9-14 on Rx#2...at least that is what I got from reading the manual. The problem with this is both aileron servos and both elevator servos end up of Rx#1 and do not give the redundancy we were after.

The 14SG will allow you to assign your functions e.g. Aileron, to any channel you want. So you can maintain mixes and build redundancy between two receivers any way you want.

It's all under Linkages > Function

Sbus combined with an XPS X10 power expander would be another way to approach this. You could run single or dual receivers, but the main thing is getting the receiver away from all the RF in the middle of the plane and all the wires. The receiver would connect to the X10 with a single wire and the bus would be powered by direct soldered leads.