• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Servo Horn 'extensions' - is this good enough?

tailskid

70cc twin V2
I'm assembling a 30cc Fun Model Sbach 300 and the instruction booklet's pictures (I NEVER read the instructions:)) are not very clear, especially when it comes to how to mount their servo arms. It appears like they are using three arms! One round one (white - from servo), their 'red' aluminum and then another (stock?) shorter arm. I believe this might be overkill, but like I said, the picture isn't very clear.

So.....I mounted their red aluminum arm on top of the standard white round arm and secured them with two 2mm x 8mm bolts and nuts.....do you think this is correct?

Normally I would break down and purchase longer arms, but what the heck, I'm hurt'n for funds.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

6520=2569-39.jpg
6520=2569-39.jpg
6520=2570-40.jpg
6520=2570-40.jpg
6520=2571-41.jpg
6520=2571-41.jpg

O

Ohio AV8TOR

That's not my preferred method of servo arm extensions but they look good. Just make it a point to inspect from time to time in preflights. Are the nuts behind nylon self locking?

tailskid

70cc twin V2
Ohio AV8TOR;6586 wrote: Are the nuts behind nylon self locking?

Yes and they are locktighted :) How would you do it differently. Like I said I usually purchase H9 1.5" servo arms but not this time$$$$$$.

Jerry

Ken-H

Centerpunchit!
Ohio AV8TOR;6586 wrote: That's not my preferred method of servo arm extensions but they look good. Just make it a point to inspect from time to time in preflights. Are the nuts behind nylon self locking?

Agreed, just remember that it's still a nylon geared arm that could strip. Might still be okay on that sized plane.

I've flown that style on 100cc and 150cc airframes. As long as you don't get to wild and wreckless with your flying, you'll be ok until you can fund some servo horns.

FYI- check out Taildraggerrc.com for good inexpensive servo horns. ;)

Robotech

70cc twin V2
jaybird;6716 wrote: I wouldn't do it...the weak link is the nylon splines.

Might require more than the purchase price of quality servo arms to replace the airframe.

Have you fitted the competed assembly on a servo yet. Depending on the servo the lock nuts could contact the top of the servo case. If they do simply put the screw head on the bottom. Personally, I'd use these before using the plain plastic. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFAB9&P=ML

tailskid

70cc twin V2
Thanks for the link Robotech....I see what you and Jaybird are saying. I would hate to lose the plane on a cheap piece of plastic.

Patroller

70cc twin V2
I am a very big fan of SWB servo arms. Very simple, light and extremely stout. I doubt you will find a more secure connection for you servo.