• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Skywing rc 32" epp slick 540 build

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401131889.349572.jpg
Got the wheel pants on!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401131924.830422.jpg
Checking throws and adjusting my radio

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401131950.092501.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401131994.019334.jpg
Installing motor mount was easy and used Cody's blenderm tape method

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401132008.238224.jpg
Finished her up yesterday and flew it today! Winds we tough but in the calm sections all i can say is FUN!!! All tricks are easy as this guy can fly fast or extremely slow. My 9 year old hasn't flown in about 9 months and took a turn on the sticks and had no problems at all hovering knife edges pop tops etc. As with most park flying tons of kids and dads came over to investigate so I couldn't shoot any vid as I had to be ready to take the radio back in case he got out of control. Fun times guys!

I will get some vid soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Looks great Mike, glad you and son had a blast with it!

Looking forward to seeing a pic of the little man flying it, I want to see how big the smile is :)

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Wish this wind would die down… I've been waiting for it since I got home from fishin! Took the fam out to a creek a couple miles away and had a blast. No fish but the silly string was a hit.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Wind turned to rain and it's been off and on all day! Geesh! But the weather man says tomorrow is looking good!

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Burned through one batt then on #2 the esc starts thinking I have a 3s batt and not a 2s by giving me 3 beeps. I'll figure it out but it did work for 5 flights. I tried the remaining 5 batts and all gave me the same 3 beeps after the nice da la lee sound LOL. I tried to reprogram it at the field but it was a fail.

:banghead:

SnowDog

bummer Mike, nothing worse than equipment preventing what would otherwise be a great flying opportunity! :(

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Finally figured it out. Had to set the programming option to Lipo instead of automatic batt selection. :).

Stryker48

New to GSN!
I couldn't help but notice, the 4 short wing stiffeners under the main wing carbon spar, protrudes and does not sit flush with the wing. I'm open to correction but I think the open slot is supposed to face upward and the carbon rod sits in the slot all flush with the wing. I'm sure everything once installed should be completely flush with the wing. (Twisted Hobbies planes stiffeners are a little different in that the carbon rods go through the centre hole and everything sits flush with the wing.)
I know the 'instruction manual' for want of a better word, is somewhat lacking (putting it mildly!) from what I can tell.

I have one on order myself (should be here by end Nov 2014) and will post my build video on my experience with this particular model. $90 including shipping for pnp version with brushless motor, esc, 3 servos, servo extension and 2 props.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/8mm-EPP-PLANE-SLICK-MINI-3D-airplane-PNP-set-SKYWING-RC-3D-airplane-wingspan-32-inch/602134_2024831150.html
Best price I found! ...... Compared to $200 for a TH's similar setup with shipping to Canada.

I intend flying this model outdoors (little to no wind of course!) with a 2S 450mah battery to keep it as light and floaty as possible. Hoping I can achieve a good CG with a smaller battery without too much trouble.

Any further comments/advice regarding your build, setting up and flying this plane would be greatly appreciated by all interested parties. - Thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator: