• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Smaller trailers for 40% + sized Giants!

funflyr

50cc
DSC_0677.JPG
I have my Aero Express 6x10 Trailer for sale. Here's the link to the ad.

http://giantscalenews.com/threads/aero-express-6x10-trailer.3672/

camss69

70cc twin V2
So what's the history on the Aero Express trailers? Someone built them specifically for model planes originally? What was their original intended purpose if not for model planes?

jon595

50cc
They are made for hauling planes. There are 2 at our field in town. When I lived in NC the LHS owner had one that was a little taller, and 3 sides raised up to get to the planes. They've been out of business for years. Last one I saw for sale went for $1300 in GA.

funflyr

50cc
Aero Express were built as a side business by a company that's primary business was building Camper Trailers. The owner of the company was a RC guy and saw a need so he started building these trailers on the side. There were several models ranging from a 4x8, 4x10, and 6x10. Most of them hinged from the side which made it hard to secure planes that were mounted on the hinge side. They had one model where the entire top lifted straight up, but then you had to deal with the corner support poles. Some of the early ones didn't have a tailgate and used spring axles. This version has the tailgate and torsion axle. When I bought it I was told that it was the last Aero Express trailer made before the owner retired. The new company owner didn't want to build trailers for such a small market. It originally cost $2500.
Troy

Last edited:

Wacobipe

100cc
@Wacobipe, how much does your trailer weigh? It looks like you have a lot of room in there. I am wondering if my Nissan could pull it around OK. I have been searching around for light weight trailers, but not having any luck locally.

It weighs just under 1000 lbs. my BMW. 135 barely notices it is back there...but it is rear wheel drive which helps...and the 300 HP, 300 ft-lbs of torque doesn't hurt either. But if you think about 1000 lbs it s similar to having 4 big people in the car so it isn't that much really.

I think overall weight is something to be watched but with a car I think a light tongue weight is also very important (I make sure to keep mine under 200LB) as there is less structure in a car to support the hitch//tongue weight.

Another benefit of my trailer is it is low (5ft interior height) and V-nose, both of which dramatically reduce drag. I get 21-22 MPG around town with the car, and 19 towing the trailer so the trailer has little effect to the cars performance. I do very little Highway with it but when I bought the trailer the MPG hit was only 2-3 MPG at 65MPH also.

I think if you drive with a bit of respect for the car and don't spend all day climbing mountains with the trailer you'd be fine....go to Europe and people are dragging very big camping trailers all over the place with tiny little cars....they don't have pickup trucks.