• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

So just how does Aero-Tow Soaring work?

Lojik

70cc twin V2
Some guys show up and tow all day, some fly the sailplanes. It's all good, everybody goes home smiling.

For what it's worth,
Sailplanes are designed to be able to sustain flight in the right conditions.
Gliders might be able to sustain flight but aren't generally expected to be able to do much more than glide to a landing.

So, sailplanes are gliders but gliders aren't sailplanes even though the words are sometimes used interchangeably.

:)

yep and then you get the classes such as F3B and F3F etc

my fav time with a non-powered plane was flying close to 200mph with a DS model on a 50k back side wind.

Judge

70cc twin V2
The towing would be fun but the gliding I have little interest in.

I actually find soaring to be the greatest challenge in RC. It is just you, the airplane and your ability to find and fly in lift. It looks easy until you do it. For me there is nothing more satisfying than being in a contest and scratching to make your time and then catching a low thermal while setting up to land WAAY early and taking it out and up for the save!! Pure flying at its best.

SleepyC

150cc
I actually find soaring to be the greatest challenge in RC. It is just you, the airplane and your ability to find and fly in lift. It looks easy until you do it. For me there is nothing more satisfying than being in a contest and scratching to make your time and then catching a low thermal while setting up to land WAAY early and taking it out and up for the save!! Pure flying at its best.

I am seeing that this is 100% the truth. I have only started to dabble in DLG's but the simplicity of it all is truly relaxing. Most things I fly (My big AV OCTOS, or 40% or even my AW 260) I have a nervous feeling like "MAN, it would SUCK if I lost this thing". But with the DLG, it's simply relaxing and a completely different experience. I am really looking forward to someday trying out a REAL glider. I really want to get one of those 2M metroplex gliders to give this all a try!

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I am seeing that this is 100% the truth. I have only started to dabble in DLG's but the simplicity of it all is truly relaxing. Most things I fly (My big AV OCTOS, or 40% or even my AW 260) I have a nervous feeling like "MAN, it would SUCK if I lost this thing". But with the DLG, it's simply relaxing and a completely different experience. I am really looking forward to someday trying out a REAL glider. I really want to get one of those 2M metroplex gliders to give this all a try!

i actually bought a Hobbyking Ask 21 motorglider a few years ago

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=19697

haven't flown it much but when i did it was a lot of fun and did ok on the included motor. if you lived closer i'd say come and get it.

then again, maybe i should try to aero-tow it with my Flyzone Beaver? (insert diabolical laugh here)

Last edited:

BarracudaHockey

70cc twin V2
Thanks for the info Bartman. I'd love the chance to fly a tow plane some day.

So is the release mechanism on the glider just like the mechanism on the tow plane? I'm a little lost on that point.

Typically the glider pilot releases. If there's a problem with him/her releasing the line or if the glider gets in trouble, you want to be able to cut the glider loose from the tow plane. I've only released the tow line from the tow plane 3x in several hundred tows. Twice because the glider had an issue with their release where it wouldn't let go under tension and they just landed with the line. The other time the glider pilot gave thumbs up to take off but forgot the minor step of turning his receiver on so I took it to a safe area on the other side of the runway and cut him loose.

We do a lot of aerotowing, it's really a hoot. I've even converted a couple of hard core 3D guys into decent tow pilots. We do everything from UMX to 10 meter
arkus.jpg
cc4.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0049.jpg
    DSC_0049.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 478

Hazmat1

30cc
I just aquired a brand new Hemple 38% decathlon. Seriously thinking about taking the DA100 out of it and putting a 150-180cc motor so It could be used for towing. How does one get involved with towing? Any events need tow planes?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I just aquired a brand new Hemple 38% decathlon. Seriously thinking about taking the DA100 out of it and putting a 150-180cc motor so It could be used for towing. How does one get involved with towing? Any events need tow planes?

there are events listed at RCflightdeck.com. i'd suggest you contact an area club that participates in Aero-Tow and ask about getting involved. you can show up with a tow plane but expect to be asked about your experience towing gliders aloft. i'm sure they'll be friendly about it but they'll expect you to take a little direction until you've got some tow flying under your belt.

or you could find a club member nearby with a sailplane or glider and figure it out as you go.

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
The tow line is pretty long, depending on the size of the aircraft being flown it can be as short as 20 ft for foamies pulling foamies or 100 ft or more for giants scale tugs pulling giant scale sailplanes. Also, as the aircraft get larger and heavier, the tow line has to be thinker/stronger.

grammar check lol

Nice info tho!