• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Spektrum DX-20 Recall Info

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I would really be interested to see how many of these DX20 TXs are out there, due to all the BS with advertisement for over a year, and HH putting off the ship date time after time I am thinking there can't be many, maybe 300 units in the US.

It may surprise you. With over 180k modelers known by the AMA, if only 5% had the radio that would be 9k, and with limited choices for a higher end higher channel radio I would think it would be more. If it had not been for my search turning up so many complaints in general, as well as seeing issues personally, I would have went to Spektrum a few years back. But!!!!

I don't have any better data then you but based on the transmitters I've seen over the years I'd suspect that maybe 5% of modellers use any sort of high end transmitter. If (and I think this is optimistic) 5% or 9K modellers in the US use a transmitter costing over $700 I'm guessing that total would be divided among popular transmitters purchased over the past 6 or 7 years and include everything from the JR12X (which is still pretty popular, Futaba's 18SZ and 18MZ and a slew of DX18s. Since the DX20 only actually started shipping recently I'd guess that maybe 5%-10% of that 5% of modellers that own high end transmitter actually have a DX20 which would mean about 500-1000 DX20s sold so far, and I think that is probably optimistic. Since I've heard the estimate to turn around a recalled DX20 to be about 6 days (from receipt until return shipping), assuming they don't have a small army of repair personnel and have other repair work they need to still perform, they can't be expecting a huge number of recalled DX20s...

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
That may very well be the case, I was giving my opinion based on the popularity of Spektrum over all. From my travels, with visiting the clubs in those towns, I have seen a fair share of the higher end Tx's and Spektrum is most popular for some reason. At the three clubs I currently reside at there are more Spektrum than any other and plenty of the higher end. So I added it all together and summed it up as "You might be surprised", who knows I might would be.

Eastdave2

New to GSN!
I have double pain, based in UAE shipped via HH Germany, no information and now told shipped over to USA. The lack of respect from HH will mean this is the last DX and Speki system, Jeti hurry up with the DS-24 please!

Stegl

New to GSN!
To me , why Spektrum seems to be popular is due to what local hobby shops carry and Horizon's almost forced Spektrum radio buy is the wide range of Bind N Fly aircraft choices. Hey, its all in their marketing strategy which , I don't agree with, but have to give highs marks to.
I have used my Airtronics SD-10G for the past almost 8 plus years and have never, ever, had a glitch as do many others. Their fault was poor marketing
and promotion plus not upgrading to telemetry which caused the Airtronics demise in North America. Costly to do as you have to move so many units to make development pay or have deep pockets and be willing to spend money on developing new technology.
As for not disclosing what the issues were with the DX20 would not bode well with me either.

Other reasons for not brand switching is a high count of receivers; but hey, being that Spektrum is popular; selling off should not be an issue as there is always someone out there willing to buy. A point too why some buy and stay with a particular brand is they don't research what is out there and any issues
with newer radios and brands.
I do and have never regretted it in the long run even though I may spend more up front I save in the end .
Have a good day gentlemen.

Chris singer

New to GSN!
I asked at Toledo what the issue was and it was NOT safety related. They were having problems with fit and finish which they felt were not up to the Spektrum standard. This is a fairly common issue, particularly among plastic parts manufacturers. I come out of automotive and I can tell you the rigorous quality control is impressive, even for parts not seen by the consumer.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I asked at Toledo what the issue was and it was NOT safety related. They were having problems with fit and finish which they felt were not up to the Spektrum standard. This is a fairly common issue, particularly among plastic parts manufacturers. I come out of automotive and I can tell you the rigorous quality control is impressive, even for parts not seen by the consumer.
I'm a JR/Spektrum user that has had great luck with my stuff. But my opinion of Horizons quality control really couldn't be any lower. The quality control on my Hangar 9 120cc Extra 300X is nearly non existent.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
That sounds like a bogus reason for a business to spend the money on a recall. I would have to believe they don't want to say why out of fear and use the minimal stuff for the excuse.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I'm a JR/Spektrum user that has had great luck with my stuff. But my opinion of Horizons quality control really couldn't be any lower. The quality control on my Hangar 9 120cc Extra 300X is nearly non existent.
Quality control is how well you check it over and tend to any issues they may have missed, even if you can't see it.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
My buddy emailed me and said they have extended the time frame for his radio to come back. They extended it out another week!