• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Tech-aero IBEC question

Moose

New to GSN!
Well guys I have a Tech Aero IBEC in about 8 of my planes and they all worked flawlessly however on my latest instal on a DLE 35 I would get a high speed miss......this is a new engine and new IBEC ......tried a direct wire connection to the ignition and miss is gone......moral of the story is even great products can have problems....not a big deal but just thought I'd let you guys know that you shouldn't rule the IBEC out.

Flyingjon

70cc twin V2
Well guys I have a Tech Aero IBEC in about 8 of my planes and they all worked flawlessly however on my latest instal on a DLE 35 I would get a high speed miss......this is a new engine and new IBEC ......tried a direct wire connection to the ignition and miss is gone......moral of the story is even great products can have problems....not a big deal but just thought I'd let you guys know that you shouldn't rule the IBEC out.
What could cause that? I've seen that on mine before when I first fire it up. Full throttle run ups and the light blinks for a millisecond a couple of times but after it warms up it goes away. Stumped....

Moose

New to GSN!
What could cause that? I've seen that on mine before when I first fire it up. Full throttle run ups and the light blinks for a millisecond a couple of times but after it warms up it goes away. Stumped....

I have no idea.....guess you are a little luckier than me because mine just gets worse through the flight. This is just a guess but it could be a latent problem of timing or the ignition sensor that is magnified with the IBEC. Actually what made me consider connecting the battery directly was Adrian from CH ignitions as there have been issues related to timing and sensors with some of the DLEs.

I have not had time but I have bought a new sensor and timing kit to further investigate the problem and will report back if any new info becomes available.

As I said earlier.....I have about 8 in other planes with zero problems so might be a one off IBEC but I see that more and more people are having the same issue so maybe its something that Tech Aero needs to look into.

ericrs

70cc twin V2
Hey @Flyingjon I've got a spare Tech-Aero that we could swap out sometime and see if it would miss on mine. That would tell us if it was the ignition or the IBEC.

Smitty

50cc
I was tuning my plane today and it had a high end slight miss. When it missed the light on the IBEC would slightly blink and seems to have made the miss?
Running a DA 60 with powersafe receiver and pulse lipos.

I have not done any thing yet but seems it would be the IBEC?
Had something like that happen to me , it was a loose wire in one of the connectors.---Smitty

Moose

New to GSN!
Hi Guys, quick update on this subject.

Using the kit I purchased from Adrian along with the new sensor and timing to be at 28 BTDC the engine now runs unbelievably well.....so well that you would not imagine it was actually possible. The problem with the misfire on WOT is now a problem of the past and the transition is remarkable.

This kinda confirms that if the timing is wrong (it was factory set to approx. 38-42 BTDC) coupled with a mediocre sensor, you basically get a unhappy running engine that will drive you nuts and have you point the finger at the IBEC.

Before any modifications the misfire reduced significantly when the IBEC was removed and the ignition supplied directly, however with the modifications explained above the engine is now a champ with the IBEC as the source of power to the ignition.

Here is a link to the video that I followed and the kit that I purchased.

A big thank you to Adrian from CH ignitions for the help.

Merry Christmas everyone and I wish you all a blessed and happy 2016

Mostafa

bluefear

New to GSN!
Hitec also tried to pass the buck, in the end the IBEC's were not the A9 culprit. I have run the A9 since it came out and with Tech Aero IBEC's with no issues at all. That said I had a friend loose 2 100cc planes with the A9 and I was present for one of them. Neither plane had an ibec in it. The A9 issue was solved with a firmware update, but it is strange that not all A9's had the issue.

This is what happened with me...running A9..Techaero..savox 1270tgs and pulse lipos

started my dle120 perfectly....engine ran great...everything ran great..as soon as a i takeoff on WOT, the engine misfires badly for about 5 seconds and quits and next thing i know is the plane is into the trees...

luckily the only damage was to the wings which i'll be buying new....

when i opened up everything at home I could see the techaero wire burnt....i'm really confused as to why this happened and it could've been a very huge loss....

20170207_204907_1486981606606_resized.jpg 20170207_204750_1486981607152_resized.jpg 20170208_192459_1486981604515_resized.jpg 20170208_192332_1486981605894_resized.jpg

Last edited:

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Below is a pic and even though it is from TA's site it is how they come. I would have to say the pic is of wiring going to the TA Rx plug from the Rx and the issue lies within it not the TA. Is this damaged wire the TA Rx plug going to the IBEC, or, from the Rx to TA Rx plug?

Attachments

• IBEC.jpg
    IBEC.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 345
Last edited: