• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

hone

150cc
...$150 for an airframe is insane...
Dan

No, $150 for SHIPPING on an airframe is insane :p

Just wait until you buy something BIG! ahah it gets expensive fast.

If you want to save money the wire gear of the 48'' Edge will save you from having to buy carbon fiber gear after too many hard landings.

The 48'' is a bigger version of what you have and will be a little easier to fly while the 42'' Slick will be something completely different.

Last edited by a moderator:

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
No, $150 for SHIPPING on an airframe is insane :p

Just wait until you buy something BIG! ahah it gets expensive fast.

If you want to save money the wire gear of the 48'' Edge will save you from having to buy carbon fiber gear after too many hard landings.

The 48'' is a bigger version of what you have and will be a little easier to fly while the 42'' Slick will be something completely different.

I agree with this for sure. I'd rather spend $150 on a quality small air-frame than get something cheaper that doesn't put a smile on my face or offer me the chance to gain sweet skills with solid learning platform. I have had two 48 edges and got at least 200 flights on each one. I feel like that is a pretty sweet deal. I learned a ton of skills with that plane. It is so great in harrier both upright and inverted that you build confidence really fast. I think the 48 edge and 51 slick were the best bang for the buck planes I have had so far.

-DJO

70cc twin V2
I agree with this for sure. I'd rather spend $150 on a quality small air-frame than get something cheaper that doesn't put a smile on my face or offer me the chance to gain sweet skills with solid learning platform. I have had two 48 edges and got at least 200 flights on each one. I feel like that is a pretty sweet deal. I learned a ton of skills with that plane. It is so great in harrier both upright and inverted that you build confidence really fast. I think the 48 edge and 51 slick were the best bang for the buck planes I have had so far.

Awesome! Great to hear. But I think I've got two problems. One, the 48 is going to be a tough fit into a sedan's trunk, as my 41'' basically fills up 90% of it as it is..(either a Chevy Malibu or a Honda Civic) hmm.. and two, I don't think it's safe to fly such a large model at my small local park/field complex area... especially in the summer when people are there walking their dogs, running, walking, biking or whatever... hmmm :confused:

Decisions, decisions... need to get that 8FG first! No replies lately. Hopefully I can pay tonight and he can get it shipped out quick.

:)

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

njswede

150cc
I couldn't agree more with the previous posters. Take me as an example: I bought a couple of HobbyKing 3D planes and they all had issues with their post-stall performance. I figured it wasn't a big deal, because I was still learning and not good enough to notice the difference. Well, guess what? It's a HUGE deal when you're learning! I couldn't figure out if it was my lack of skills, the wind or the airframe that was the problem. And when you're troubleshooting your technique, you really want to eliminate as many variables as possible.

Fast forward about a year to today and I'm starting to build a small hangar of quality airframes. And it actually struck me last weekend when I was out flying my 58" 3DHS Edge what an amazing airframe it is. There was a gusty 15mph wind blowing (probably gusting up to 20mph) and I could keep my plane completely stationary in a harrier with just the tiniest inputs to compensate for the wind. NOT A CHANCE IN HELL I COULD HAVE DONE THAT WITH A CHEAPO PLANE! OK, my technique has (hopefully) gotten a bit better, but the airframe really makes a difference!

Unfortunately, 3D is a pretty expensive hobby because it requires pretty extreme equipment. I've learned the hard way that there are very few shortcuts worth taking.

You want an exception to the rule? The ValueHobby Sabre X that still remains one of my favorite airframes. As stable in harrier as my 58" Edge, but not as great a tumbler and pop-topper. That's a great 3D trainer and just all around fun and enjoyable plane to fly. The problem there is that you still need to put in pretty expensive servos (Hitec 85MGs) to make it flyable.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Awesome! Great to hear. But I think I've got two problems. One, the 48 is going to be a tough fit into a sedan's trunk, as my 41'' basically fills up 90% of it as it is..(either a Chevy Malibu or a Honda Civic) hmm.. and two, I don't think it's safe to fly such a large model at my small local park/field complex area... especially in the summer when people are there walking their dogs, running, walking, biking or whatever... hmmm :confused:

Decisions, decisions... need to get that 8FG first! No replies lately. Hopefully I can pay tonight and he can get it shipped out quick.

Dan

It fits fine... Response to #1: just take one wing off. It takes two seconds to put on. #2: The 48 edge is much more manageable to fly and control than the smaller edge you are flying. It also harrier lands easily in a small space with a little practice. I would argue that the 48 edge is SAFER to fly in that area than the smaller edge. I'm guessing what it really comes down to is the extra price. I know you don't have a lot of cash to throw at a plane so $150 + shipping seems like a lot of money. I can totally see where you are coming from with that. I felt the same way about buying planes when I first got into the hobby. Then I found out what quality feels like and it makes the sacrifice of a little extra $ per plane worth it.

njswede

150cc

Dan

None of my planes (except the Buck Huck) fit in my trunk. Just take the wings off. Takes about a minute to do.

-DJO

70cc twin V2
Well I really hate taking off the wings and plugging in things at the field. That's one of the main reasons I got out of FPV, there's just too much to plug in at the field. I just want to get there, turn on the TX/plug in the aircraft battery pack and fly! :)

On second thought I may be able to fit it in the trunk. I think there should be enough extra room to fit in an extra 7'' of plane :)

Based on Wamsy's video this thing has crazy performance, I think I'm going to use the exact setup....

But overall it's going to cost me at least $300 for the 48. And that's a ton of cash... but hey I am getting back into DLGs, and a good DLG gets up and easily over $700 just for an airframe...

Dan

quadracer

100cc

Dan
I've got a CTS (pretty much the same size as a Malibu), and my Buck Fiddy fit nose down in the back seat. Spinner sat on the driveshaft tunnel, and the tail on top the back seat, fully assembled.