• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

gyro

GSN Contributor
Yeah, saw that link yesterday too.
I remember from flying Herks and doing airdrop how much a CG change can effect control, and potentially ruin your day. We even discussed in training how once it happens, (aft shift) there really isn't anything you can do :(

Heart goes out to the crew and families.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I also saw that, That's really really bad. Do you think he could have tip stalled and not had power to pull out?

Nope :(

Most likely scenario:

-Heavy load, so heavy airplane with low power to weight.
-high field altitude, so high density altitude, further robbing power from the engines.
-Aggressive climb out to avoid portable surface to air missiles
-load shift on the aggressive climb leading to a high nose pitch with insufficient airspeed and elevator authority to get the nose down.

I've dropped a 20,000 load out the back of a c-130, and the momentary CG shift from that a slow airspeed is very unsettling, I can only imagine what these guys were thinking. So sad...

SnowDog

I saw the video here:

[video=youtube;uIjO0sKBDDw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uIjO0sKBDDw[/video]

yikes...can't imagine what that was like...no way to recover, obviously. I'm amazed that the plane was even able to be leveled off.

terrible day for all involved. prayers lifted up.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
I remember from flying Herks and doing airdrop how much a CG change can effect control, and potentially ruin your day. We even discussed in training how once it happens, (aft shift) there really isn't anything you can do :(

I flew on a couple bombing missions on a B-52 in Vietnam and when they dropped the load it was like an elevator going up.