• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Cool The I'm going out flying thread 2017

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
The 36cent breaks in half just like the 26cent.......

0830171616-00.jpg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Did he hit the ground or did it just snap in half, the sound we heard was that him hitting the ground or the fuselage breaking.

Right wing tip strike wile plane was slightly rolling to the left and inverted. I believe mine was due to a very hard right snap to KE and weight distribution. Common factor IMO is the bottom and side stringers on both planes do not extend far enough forward and can easily shear when large torsional loads are placed on fuse and wing tube. I also noticed on mine that the very thin light ply on the fuse sides and radio compartment area easily delaminated. Don't get me wrong...I have always enjoyed my Pilot airframes but it is my belief that if that 107" was say an 104" EF I think he would have finished his routine with "Warrior Points"

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Right wing tip strike wile plane was slightly rolling to the left and inverted. I believe mine was due to a very hard right snap to KE and weight distribution. Common factor IMO is the bottom and side stringers on both planes do not extend far enough forward and can easily shear when large torsional loads are placed on fuse and wing tube. I also noticed on mine that the very thin light ply on the fuse sides and radio compartment area easily delaminated. Don't get me wrong...I have always enjoyed my Pilot airframes but it is my belief that if that 107" was say an 104" EF I think he would have finished his routine with "Warrior Points"

Dang Kelly, that sucks. I hate seeing your plane in pieces like that. I believe that in making airframes lighter, some much needed supports are being down sized as you indicated. Both of my 107" Pilot Edge's have done very well. Especially considering one of my favorite maneuvers is a full powered knife edge snap to opposite knife edge...then a full powered reversed knife edge snap to knife edge. Seems both planes handle it pretty well.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
But speaking of damage...as promised, the photos from Huckfest. Sorry I am delayed in getting them posted. Lots going on.

First the Behemoth Yak #2 canopy. Really not terrible, but bad enough I just could not let it be, so new canopy is ordered. I also ordered a rear canopy support framework since the original got broke when the canopy fell to the ground. It would be a good idea guys, to remember your canopy bolts. LOL

20170905_193403.jpg
20170911_213720.jpg

The Pilot Edge didn't fair quite as well. Just not enough altitude when I pushed up from an inverted pull out. It could have been worse though. Other than one pulled loose/broken rudder hinge and two elevator hinges, the only damage was the left wing panel. Well, and my ego. Lol. The fuse and everything else came through in perfect condition.

20170911_213759.jpg
20170911_213748.jpg

I bet I don't try that stunt again any time soon. Silly wing panel was $278.00...ouch!

pawnshopmike

Staff member
But speaking of damage...as promised, the photos from Huckfest. Sorry I am delayed in getting them posted. Lots going on.

First the Behemoth Yak #2 canopy. Really not terrible, but bad enough I just could not let it be, so new canopy is ordered. I also ordered a rear canopy support framework since the original got broke when the canopy fell to the ground. It would be a good idea guys, to remember your canopy bolts. LOL

View attachment 98881 View attachment 98882

The Pilot Edge didn't fair quite as well. Just not enough altitude when I pushed up from an inverted pull out. It could have been worse though. Other than one pulled loose/broken rudder hinge and two elevator hinges, the only damage was the left wing panel. Well, and my ego. Lol. The fuse and everything else came through in perfect condition.

View attachment 98883 View attachment 98884

I bet I don't try that stunt again any time soon. Silly wing panel was $278.00...ouch!
Ouch.:confused:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
OUCH! Hurts too see that! Don't you know I'm in enough pain already. :laughing:

Now as far as the Extra.....It is not like the 87" Edge. Similar but not alike construction wise. I had no problems with my 87" Edge and flew the snot out of it.
It is still being flown by someone else. Have not heard of its demise. I will say the Extra flew as well if not better than the Edge IMO. Snaps and spins a bit tighter and crisp! My beast of a rudder servo had also stripped the pull pull arm in my Extra. Chief has a replacement fuse which includes canopy, cowl and rudder fin for about 2 bens to the door. Just need the fuse and canopy though.

0904170027-00.jpg