• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The Knife Edge Spin

alawson999

70cc twin V2
I continue to work on this one - getting decent results about 50% of the tries now.

I am finding that for me - at least at this level of skill ( or lack thereof) - this works best

downline a low throttle
kick the rudder to get the fuse approximately parallel to the horizon.
THEN ramp up both the down elevator and the throttle.

I suspect this will become more of a single action later

BTW - velco on the batteries has resolved the dreaded battery ejection problem mentioned earlier.

Still practicing.

jmart95

70cc twin V2
I continue to work on this one - getting decent results about 50% of the tries now.

I am finding that for me - at least at this level of skill ( or lack thereof) - this works best

downline a low throttle
kick the rudder to get the fuse approximately parallel to the horizon.
THEN ramp up both the down elevator and the throttle.

I suspect this will become more of a single action later

BTW - velco on the batteries has resolved the dreaded battery ejection problem mentioned earlier.

Still practicing.

There's a few ways of doing it, but here's how I do it:
downline(any throttle setting)
add full aileron(do about 1/2 roll)
kick in full rudder(same direction as aileron) and down elevator(or opposite rudder of aileron and up elevator for positive ke spin)
ease the throttle on over about a second if you didn't enter at full throttle

should wrap up every single time. The rolling downline makes the entry easier, but not necessary. Once locked in, most planes need you to reduce the amount aileron your using, maybe 1/2 to 2/3's aileron. Also, remember to correct the wings if it tries to roll out(in a left rudder neg. ke spin, if it tries to roll to upright=less aileron input, if it tries to roll into inverted you need more aileron input. Of course the opposite applies to right rudder). If that doesn't work, look at what the airplane does when it unwantedly exits the manuever, and think it over after the flight, and analyze what you need to do differently for the next flight.

gyro

GSN Contributor
the KE spin is one of my favorite maneuvers... here is how I do it:

first, begin your upline to the height you want to enter, then cut power to idle.
as upward momentum stops, kick over the tail with some right rudder, so the plane's noes falls to the right.
then, add full down elevator, and some power to start the rotation.
Hold the wings vertical with rudder and aileron as required, but usually all you need is a pinch of rudder.

hope this helps!

Bbcorvette18

70cc twin V2
I can throw my little stuntmaster into it at will but the sbach is hit n miss and I usually cant hold it so I've been practicing.

I was flying [MENTION=2834]3dcarter[/MENTION] yak at monsterfest and I was able to nail KE spins by doing a downline aileron roll and the feed opposite rudder and up elevator and stoping the roll before it turned into a blender and then exit in a flatspin. Not sure why that was so easy to do with his yak54

[mention=3310]BB[/mention] I just worked out on the simulator that as you give opposite rudder for an inside KE Spin (Up elevator), rudder in the same direction will put you in an outside spin. Exactly opposite from the rudder inputs used for inside vs outside snap rolls.

Bbcorvette18

70cc twin V2
I meant to say down elevator. I think up on the stick and usually say the wrong thing especially when im tired lol from what ive read it was literally the blender inputs but it would teansition into a nice ke spin

KESpin.jpg
Knife Edge Spin from MAN

This is how I do it: down EL with Rudder same direction as roll, in the case of the pic, left. Then, inverted blender, which would mean switch rudder from left to right.