• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
He was probably doing more work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not me, not ever. I heard very early in my plumbing career that a good plumber should work a helper to death. Not me, I was quickly was so far ahead of my plumber even the foreman asked me to slow down. I would have a week or more worth of materials lined up ahead of my plumber. Sized, cut, stacked and waiting on him. That was so much fun.

Even as a young plumber I was so far ahead of my coworkers, I was once told by the lead foreman to slow down, that I was working everybody out of a job. I had to initial my work with a Sharpie as most coworkers refused to believe/accept how much more I had completed.

BalsaDust

Not me, not ever. I heard very early in my plumbing career that a good plumber should work a helper to death. Not me, I was quickly was so far ahead of my plumber even the foreman asked me to slow down. I would have a week or more worth of materials lined up ahead of my plumber. Sized, cut, stacked and waiting on him. That was so much fun.

Even as a young plumber I was so far ahead of my coworkers, I was once told by the lead foreman to slow down, that I was working everybody out of a job. I had to initial my work with a Sharpie as most coworkers refused to believe/accept how much more I had completed.
I've experienced similar during my time in construction. I was taught by some good electricians during my apprenticeship who had no problem getting down in the hole with the helpers to get the job done so I became the same way once I was the one doing the teaching. Also been on the side of making some guys jelous. I can rember working at a new school that was being built. Was my first week working with this crew as the boss had me working on a govt base for 6 months prior. I was asked by the forman to get a couple of conduits run down a certain wall following the same path as what was already there so I got right on it. Finished up around lunch and the forman told me I needed to take it down as it made his run that I followed look bad as in a 10' section he had 3 couplings because he had never been taught how to make multiple bends in one piece of pipe and I was taught you use every bit of the 10' stick of conduit and only cut it when you get to the end of the run to terminate it in a box. I wish I still had pictures of it. In that 10' stick there was a box offset coming out of the j-box going to a 4 point saddle around a support beam then a pair of 3 point saddles around two different conduits that ran vertically. It was gorgeous.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Yes I am. Went full time in ‘97, now 10 employees. But back when I was a helper, plumber, even a foreman I had fun outperforming. As a foreman my crew was always well in front of other trades. @BalsaDust knows the value of being in front of other trades as well as avoiding sharing work areas.

BalsaDust

Yes I am. Went full time in ‘97, now 10 employees. But back when I was a helper, plumber, even a foreman I had fun outperforming. As a foreman my crew was always well in front of other trades. @BalsaDust knows the value of being in front of other trades as well as avoiding sharing work areas.
Very much so. There are times when working together with other trades is a benifit but for the most part its always been best to me to be in our own areas and out of each others way.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Very much so. There are times when working together with other trades is a benifit but for the most part its always been best to me to be in our own areas and out of each others way.

Sharing scissor lifts, loaning hammer drills, etc makes working together much more efficient and helpful.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Made 4 stand offs for an electric motor. Just doing small things to keep my self busy while the the weather sucks no flying. Only 2 showing .
IMG_3443.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Making some small improvements made the 4 stand off’s but just did not like how long they were but that is what was needed. So had a brace printed that fitted into the stand offs. This looks much better and made the hole assembly considerably more rigid.
IMG_0252.jpeg