• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
That sure is looking good !! I love that canopy !!
Thanks for the nice comment, the canopy came out pretty good I am happy with it a little on the dark side but ok. It was done with that stuff that you tint your tail lights with it has several coats but I guess I went one to many. It is hard to tel when you are standing outside with it next time a little less.

WMcNabb

150cc
I see you have Stits on the bench are you going to cover the plane with Stits. My last 5 or 6 planes have been Stits.

That is the plan. This will be my first model to cover in Stits. I've used Stits many times with full scale, so hopefully not too much different. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

The small plane on the bench was covered with Polyspan and primed with Stits Feather Coat. I like it so far.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
That is the plan. This will be my first model to cover in Stits. I've used Stits many times with full scale, so hopefully not too much different. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

The small plane on the bench was covered with Polyspan and primed with Stits Feather Coat. I like it so far.

First I have to tell when I use Stits it is to get a nice paint job on the plane and some colour schemes . Do not go for perfect smooth glass finish. And I like to keep it light as possible.
So here goes. The "brush coat" two coats spray on never brush. Sand and clean up. Two coats of colour for me always white makes the colours look better. No aluminium coat never use it heavy and the plane does not stand in weather 24-7. Then spray paint one coat of colours over the white with what ever pattern you like. Done. Also use the non certified light Stits cloth and the Stits cloth glue. Great stuff works great and easy to fix.

WMcNabb

150cc
First I have to tell when I use Stits it is to get a nice paint job on the plane and some colour schemes . Do not go for perfect smooth glass finish. And I like to keep it light as possible.
So here goes. The "brush coat" two coats spray on never brush. Sand and clean up. Two coats of colour for me always white makes the colours look better. No aluminium coat never use it heavy and the plane does not stand in weather 24-7. Then spray paint one coat of colours over the white with what ever pattern you like. Done. Also use the non certified light Stits cloth and the Stits cloth glue. Great stuff works great and easy to fix.

Thank you!
I've read a couple of posts where balsa was prepped with Nitrate dope before covering with Stits and Poly-Tak. Any thoughts?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Thank you!
I've read a couple of posts where balsa was prepped with Nitrate dope before covering with Stits and Poly-Tak. Any thoughts?
Do not use the nitrate dope did it once never again. Just makes plane heavy and does not improve the final finish. That is what the poly brush is for and if you spray the first coat lite let dry and spray a second coat of poly brush let dry and give it a lite sanding. Note if you do the first coat of brush coat smooth and sand it nice and smooth when you spray the second brush coat you do not have to sand at all just continue with your colour coats.
Go easy on the shrinking the cloth it has quite some power.

WMcNabb

150cc
Do not use the nitrate dope did it once never again. Just makes plane heavy and does not improve the final finish. That is what the poly brush is for and if you spray the first coat lite let dry and spray a second coat of poly brush let dry and give it a lite sanding. Note if you do the first coat of brush coat smooth and sand it nice and smooth when you spray the second brush coat you do not have to sand at all just continue with your colour coats.
Go easy on the shrinking the cloth it has quite some power.

Got it. Thanks!

thurmma

150cc
Finished installing the cb200, dual rx's and remoteswitch in the Red 330 LX tonight. Trying to keep it as clean as possible yet still accessible in case access is needed.

20170103_000702.jpg
20170103_000117_001.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Finished installing the cb200, dual rx's and remoteswitch in the Red 330 LX tonight. Trying to keep it as clean as possible yet still accessible in case access is needed.

View attachment 92497 View attachment 92498
Ok what are the 2 devices on either side of the 200 box yellow, black and red wires go into it held down with four screws.
The devices either side of the fuel tanks are voltage regulators. Just trying to understand all what is there. Not very familiar with Jeti systems. Interested because I need a new radio system soon. Thanks.

thurmma

150cc
Ok what are the 2 devices on either side of the 200 box yellow, black and red wires go into it held down with four screws.

They are MPX connectors for the wings. I use them so there is only one plug for each wing. Makes it much easier to assemble/disassemble the plane. Also, keeps you from plugging a servo into the wrong channel :) I have been doing this for the last few large planes that I have built. The connectors lock in place and are keyed so they can only go in one way.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
@ericrs hi Eric how are you doing. Just about to start covering the wings and discovered that I have forgotten to install some hard points for the flat plates on the ends of the wing. What did you end up doing. Did you make them removable or are they fixed. If they are removable what did you do. If they are fixed it could make it painful to put in a wing bag. Do people remove them every time they clean up put the wings in a bag. This is my first plane with wing end plates. Need some help.