• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
After seeing two big beautiful bad ass EDGE'S I don't want to even think about my DINKY ROCKSTAR :cautious::oops:.

But this what the hole in the wall is looking like for now and this DINKY Bipe has more parts that get glued together than BOTH edges put together:concern:.

Did not think it through when I ordered the kit version but THEY DO MEAN KIT:epic:.

Speed control and bat's should be here today:). The wheels from my Pilot Extra 330 fit this kit better than the stock wheels!

Going to fill and repaint the seems on the wheel pants.

0426171518-00.jpg 0426171519-01.jpg 0426171520-00.jpg 0428171406-00.jpg 0426171757-00.jpg 0428171407-00.jpg 0428171407-02.jpg 0428171407-03.jpg 0428171408-01.jpg 0428171411-01.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
With the rx. packs in their final location, antennas mounted, balance done and prop covers in place, the Edge is getting her first pre maiden charge.

The weather forecast for tomorrow is supposed to be a clear blue, cloud free, 63 degree day. Winds are supposed to be 4 gusting to 7. I don't think a more supreme maiden day forecast could be hoped for.

Tomorrow is the day.
:banana-dance::banana-dance::banana-dance:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Well, here we are. Pretty much done now. Only thing left is to balance, place the flight packs and G-Force pilot. He won't be here for a while. So I'm gonna mash the gas and point it straight up while waiting for him to arrive.

What all did I do to it? Basically the same thing as straight out of the box. Striped out all the wiring and replaced it all. Servos and arms too. Including throttle servo. Installed Smart Fly and Pin and Flag. Replumbed the entire airframe including the tank. Removed the engine and set it back to acquire the correct spinner back plate clearance. Bought a few Secraft goodies and added a Falcon CF 28x10. I have decided on the red lettering overlayed on the white stripe on the canopy. I must admit. This is the quickest build/assembly I've ever done. Oh how I hope the weather is good this weekend.

View attachment 95364 View attachment 95365 View attachment 95366

I will get an auw and more photos before the maiden.

I think I'm in love.
:love:
I got a few photos from yesterday. Nothing new or different than already posted. But I did get the all up weight. Not quite 26 lbs. as hoped. However, still lighter than my previous Edge. The new Edge tips the scales at 27 lbs. I have contemplated the same exhaust as the previous. MTW 75's and DA headers. Yet for the increase of a couple of hundred rpm., would the deficit of weight be worth the trade off? Hmmm...
pondering-and-thinking-smiley-emoticon.gif

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
With the rx. packs in their final location, antennas mounted, balance done and prop covers in place, the Edge is getting her first pre maiden charge.

The weather forecast for tomorrow is supposed to be a clear blue, cloud free, 63 degree day. Winds are supposed to be 4 gusting to 7. I don't think a more supreme maiden day forecast could be hoped for.

Tomorrow is the day.
:banana-dance::banana-dance::banana-dance:
Can you send that weather north east please we need some nice weather. Hope test flight is successful.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Still working on the wings of the Sportster. Got the sleeve glued in at the right angle and set square. Then glued in the shear webs which I also tied into the tube sleeve. Then built to servo boxes for the wings and the wing bolt to hold the wing in. It has been a busy day. Sorry sitting on the couch and my feet are sore from standing all day will make a picture later when this old man recovers.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Finished the landing gear this evening and got a nice coat of red paint on the tru turn spinner. Matches very close!
To simplify I cut out the English assembly transcript and all diagrams. Made it a lot easier to get this thing going and what part goes where.
I am using Gorilla's new clear contact cement for assembly. Gives you a little more time when aligning parts to be mated. Super strong bond!
The ESC and batteries did not show Friday:mad:. They are sitting in a truck in a town a few miles away (less than 30miles). Fed Ex sucks. Period.
Maybe Monday:rolleyes:.
0430171744-00.jpg 0430171745-00.jpg 0430171746-00.jpg 0430171748-00.jpg 0430171752-00.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Finished the landing gear this evening and got a nice coat of red paint on the tru turn spinner. Matches very close!
To simplify I cut out the English assembly transcript and all diagrams. Made it a lot easier to get this thing going and what part goes where.
I am using Gorilla's new clear contact cement for assembly. Gives you a little more time when aligning parts to be mated. Super strong bond!
The ESC and batteries did not show Friday:mad:. They are sitting in a truck in a town a few miles away (less than 30miles). Fed Ex sucks. Period.
Maybe Monday:rolleyes:.
View attachment 95408 View attachment 95409 View attachment 95410 View attachment 95411 View attachment 95412
Welcome to my world of chaos and disorder. Its almost as though the plane gremlins are out to put the kibosh on everything. Lol. You are making progress though. That's what matters.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I got a few photos from yesterday. Nothing new or different than already posted. But I did get the all up weight. Not quite 26 lbs. as hoped. However, still lighter than my previous Edge. The new Edge tips the scales at 27 lbs. I have contemplated the same exhaust as the previous. MTW 75's and DA headers. Yet for the increase of a couple of hundred rpm., would the deficit of weight be worth the trade off? Hmmm...
View attachment 95398

If you don't have to run cans I recommend keeping it as light as possible. My old 104 (Raiko's new 104) is a totally different bird. I was at 28.5 pounds and now it is 26.5 pounds! and flies much better with the reduced wing loading.;)

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I accomplished a huge list of chores today. Though I didn't get my Tri-Cities Huckfest shopping done, I did get a lot of other things ready and lined out. I decided that since I was a good boy and played the responsible card very well today, I deserved a little leisurely activity. Hence, I brought down the Behemoth Yak to start the modifications for the QQ 212CS. Holy crap I had forgotten how big this thing is. After building on the Pitts all winter, flying the now gasserized trainer, my other 40 centers and most recently, the assembly and maiden of the new Pilot Edge...I truly was overwhelmed...happily overwhelmed of this big Yaks size. How soon we forget huh? Lol.

So...on with the engine mounting. I started with measuring the distance from the firewall to the front face of the cowl. I need to allow that distance plus about 3/4" to 1" more length for proper prop distance placement from the cowl face.

20170430_173353.jpg
20170430_173501.jpg
14935963737561962602423.jpg

I'm shooting for getting the motor box measured and cut this evening. Omg...what am I doing????
forehead-slap-smiley-emoticon.gif