• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Engines like the DA120, GP123, ZDZ112 and anything larger also run way more smoothly on canister exhaust.

I agree, and that isn't just my dislike of the sound of stock mufflers talking.

I saw that come into play with DA85's. A can or a tuned pipe seemed to work wonders taming the vibrations. Did they still vibrate? Of course, it's a big jug hi-performance single. Did it vibrate the airframe apart and destroy things? Not even close. And, a DA 85 on an RE3 tuned pipe is quite the animal in the power to weight game.;)

Rusty 73

100cc
The Viper ST "KIT" version was designed for the DA100 and DLE100 / 120. The DA will not fit the cowl and the smaller wing span and lightness of the air frame make it very torquey when you start running DA120 props like the 28x10 and 29x9W It causes ill effects on flight performance. A DA120 does not vibrate any more or less than anything else. The very first batch that they made did but those are long gone unless you find a 6+ year old 120 that has never been updated which is not likely. Engines like the DA120, GP123, ZDZ112 and anything larger also run way more smoothly on canister exhaust.

I would yes that my first DA 120#1157 is probable five or years old and is running on canister from proflow. I recently purchased the newest da120 in November and i will see how much smoother she, this why i ponyed up and and got the newest version . I probable will send in my older 120 for the update , didn't think it would make that much difference . Only many gallon of fuel burnt will tell .

Rusty 73

100cc
By the way, Dave Johnson and Casey Johnson are personal friends, (Colton Clark as well for that matter, though he doesn't work at DA anymore). They haven't agreed with your assessment.

I have meet Casey and Colton and Dave at TAS field, they gave me a personal tour of the facuilty and answered any questions I had . At least the ones they were allowed to answer consider there R&D work with the military contracts .
I believe it was Casey that suggested to keep my old DA100( first generation) as they are rare engines and they run very smooth .

Have a nice day Xpress.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
This is the statement made during the original ViperST build. Copied from the build thread, #938 it is very clear what was said about the 120.

The original idea started as a 70cc 94" plane designed around the DA70. That plane was fantastic but lacked for high energy 3D (original thread over on FG). I then decided to re-design the plane to be a 101" airplane that was specifically designed to give DA120 style performance with the plentiful and inexpensive DA100L, DLE111 and even the DLE120. The DA120 quite honestly has far too much shake for the way I designed the kit version of the Viper, the engine box would have to be doubled up all the way back to the wing tube, other than that, it would probably work fine. The DLE120 is glass smooth compared to the DA and I have found it to be the perfect combination for the Viper-ST kit but the DA100L is also quite amazing in the plane.

This one has a DA100L but I plan to change to the DLE120 that I have in another plane for now. The pull-out and performance is very similar to my DA120 powered 104-107" planes:

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
He specifically designed the kit for the DA100, the DA120 won't fit without some heavy mods. If you're willing to change a lot of things to get the DA120 to fit, then there wouldn't be an issue with it.
I agree that the plane was designed for a DA100. But I can tell you that Da120 does fit in the plane. The 120 is shorter than my 100. And the cowl of the ViperST at the plugs is 315mm and the width of the 120 is 302.1mm across the plugs. Ask why I know is because a friend of mine has 120 and I wanted to know how well it fits. Not making the change the plane flies just great the way it is.

WMcNabb

150cc
How does one tell the age of a DA100?
What are the features between a new and old one, along with what makes an L?
Does a captain crunch decoder ring exist somewhere?

Last edited:

Rusty 73

100cc
Just go on DA website and go to contact us , fill out your name and send them an email and serial number . Found out today that my first 120 was made in Oct 2011 , Vernie was very quick in response and thats why i like DA .Great customer service .

WMcNabb

150cc
Just go on DA website and go to contact us , fill out your name and send them an email and serial number . Found out today that my first 120 was made in Oct 2011 , Vernie was very quick in response and thats why i like DA .Great customer service .

Thanks! Will do.

BalsaDust

So anybody got a Zenoah G23 or G26 laying around their shop they want to part with? Thinking that will be my best option on the Nieuport kit I picked up.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
So anybody got a Zenoah G23 or G26 laying around their shop they want to part with? Thinking that will be my best option on the Nieuport kit I picked up.

Not a Zen but I got an RCGF 26. Has a bowman ring, new carb and a custom low profile pitts muffler. A real nice Falcon 18x8 prop comes with it. You will need to get a new ignition for it. I will do you right if you want it.

GOPR0482.JPG
GOPR0483.JPG
GOPR0484.JPG