• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Not my own shop, but I did start cleaning up an old LeBlond 17" lathe I'm going to get to use whenever I need. Just need to find some tool holders for it and learn how to grind HHS better. Hey David, you don't have some old Armstron style tool holders in junk box some where do you?

I barely have any tooling, still getting into machining.

TonyHallo

150cc
You're a powerplant guy as well??
I run a small hydro on the Fall River, here in Ashton.
Yes I was, retired since 2018, 28 years in coal, 15 years in combined cycle and simple cycle units (Mainly gas with a little oil). Also managed two small "run of river" hydros on the Allegheny River for several years, these plants were built on the existing Lock and Dam system. It was a pleasure to get away from the combined cycle plant when I visited the hydro plants. They were small 3 MW units, total of 12 MW, but hey they made money.
Still love the smell of a coal unit starting up after an outage.
Is that lathe tucked away in a corner at the plant?

Yes I was, retired since 2018, 28 years in coal, 15 years in combined cycle and simple cycle units (Mainly gas with a little oil). Also managed two small "run of river" hydros on the Allegheny River for several years, these plants were built on the existing Lock and Dam system. It was a pleasure to get away from the combined cycle plant when I visited the hydro plants. They were small 3 MW units, total of 12 MW, but hey they made money.
Still love the smell of a coal unit starting up after an outage.
Is that lathe tucked away in a corner at the plant?
That pic wasn't at the plant. The one I run has two 4.8 MW units and runs all year, on a river that freezes up. Keeping it going through the coldest months can be tough! Feb. 2023 I'll have 30 years in. I also took part in the construction of it back in 93.

TonyHallo

150cc
We hoped our units would run all year but that was not the case, the units were on a fixed crest dam and there were minimum flow requirements over the top of the dam so we had to reduce load during periods of low flow and of course there were times when the flow was to high and we lost the tail race, occasionally the water would over top the plant and we would evacuate. Your plant was built about the same time as our's was a PURPA project that my company had to buy the output at a fixed price and ha the option to buy at the end of the contract which my company ended up doing, I managed the two plants after the purchase.

This one had to have at least one other owner to be built. But the company I work for pretty much owns it now. It’s been a good facility over the years. I’m pretty much the guy that has to keep everything running as well.