• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Turnigy TGY-i10 full telemetry 10 ch computer radio

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Now this rpm and temperature telemetry really really helps finding issues and problems. Since it was so windy today I did not fly the plane and most likely kept me from burning up another motor. I went ahead and pulled the G32 and installed the 4258 again.
Hovers the plane right at 5000 rpm AND..........Motor never got over 90 degrees!!!!
Still have an issue however with the motor! :face-palm:. At stated hover rpm the motor starts to shake when applying pull out power.
I ran the motor with nothing on it and to my dismay noticed it could be one of those motors in a personal massage vibrator:ugh!:.
So I am going to pull the motor and balance the bell. Then just maybe......did I say maybe......get this CHEAP HK plane back in the air so we can continue evaluating this CHEAP HK radio o_O.

OH! BTW.......I noticed the price has gone up to its original 175.00. Still a Barragan!

Also I am waiting to see when the "HORUS" releases and its price. FrSky did a real good job giving Jetti owners something to talk about:D.

X12S.jpg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Well this radio thread might as well be "The CHEAP HK Plane thread". Or......."The CHEAP HK Motor thread" :lol2:.

I dismantled the motor and balanced the end bell by removing excess putty they used to balance it. Flushed the bell with hot water and dried by blowing it down with air. When I reassembled it I pre loaded the front bearing a tad like I did the smaller 4238 750 and lubricated the bearings with pure silicon plumbers grease (I use this when I rebuild servo gear trains as well). The difference was amazing. Hit the 5000 rpm mark and hovered for a good few minutes. Everything nice and smooth. Motor never got hotter than 108 degrees. Then I heard the motor stumble a bit like it was cogging. Well......come to find out the speed controller is a POS. Yep... I just happen to have a decent one :cautious:. An Aerostar 65amp with 8amp BEC. So it will go in and I will report again!

Not to worry about flying the damn thing either.......More soggy headed my way :(.

20160418_201553.jpg
20160418_201608.jpg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Today was a really nice day but I did not get the chance to get a flight logged with the radio. I did however get the optional sun shade for the radio. It works! so I recommend if any one getting one of these radios go ahead and spend the additional 4$.

20160421_035736.jpg
20160421_035758.jpg
20160421_035827.jpg
20160421_035852.jpg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Tomorrow, Saturday, is gonna be a nice day to get to the field so hopefully I will get the Sbach back in the air. Still have some balance issues with the tru turn spinner cone but I will leave the cone off for now. With these electrics the motor shaft being used to turn the prop instead of the motor bell makes for some work to get it just right. With the NTM 4258-500 swinging a 16x8 MA beech-wood my wattmeter showed I was getting 750 watts of power pulling 47 amps on 4 cells. This is very good but only about half the power this motor is capable of (rated for 1300 watts). Now the advantage I have is motor runs cooler and flights should last a bit longer even though about 7 oz of weight has been added to the plane. And of course my intended advantage of swinging a much larger prop has been achieved. The NTM 4238-750 ( first motor to run in it after the original burned up) is rated for 785 watts but will only turn a 13 inch prop. I wanted a lot of prop wash with a bigger prop for thrust vectoring and it's looking successful. Now that I have a wattmeter combined with the radios telemetry I have all I could ever ask to determine how well power packages will do before the plane even goes in the air. I have enjoyed tooling with the 3 motors but now that I have all three
of the SK3 series I was interested in I think I will keep my future motor purchases limited to the SK3's. Out of the box all three motors, 4250-500, 5055-450 and 6374-192, are superior in construction and have nice even tight motor winds. Bright copper telling me it is oxygen free and absolutely no shaft/ bell play. These motors will power up Extreme flight planes with the TGY I-10 providing guidance and telemetry.

20160421_233338.jpg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Hey! How about something pertaining more to the radio!:big_yes:???

I have gotten some messages asking about using robotic or "full range servos".
This radio does not have travel volume adjustment's like you find on the newer 2.4 systems. Simply put this radio has travel limit and the limit is 120%. 60 degrees L and 60 degrees R. The resolution is 4096 steps within the 120% travel limit. If you set your limit to 100% or lower it does NOT degrade the resolution. It simply does not allow the travel through all 4096 steps. Therefore I do not recommend using robotic type servos with this radio trying to get more throw with shorter servo arms.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Was a nice sunny and warm (86 degrees) day today and got off 3 flights. Radio did great and motor never got hot. Pretty much stayed at 118*F or lower during flying and crept up to 121*F after landing and motor shut down (heat soak) for cooling off. It was really bright and the sun shade I added was marginal in direct sunlight but did very well standing in the shade even with the backlight going to 50% (bat save feature). Did not get any vid of the test bed flight but I did get some of my QQ300. It is uploading at the moment. The added weight of almost 3/4 pound is very noticeable and the plane is nose heavy and some what difficult to hover with out it wanting to fall out no matter what the power setting other than almost full throttle. It did do nice KE and pop tops and spins. But for it's purpose it has served it did great as a test bed.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Got the radio installed in a Gas Plane! Yea it's only 20cc but still a great "test bed" . Need to install the telemetry sensors still but I want to get a couple of flights first. I wont be using the radio for my big gassers but have 3 nice electrics that I will build over the summer for specific use of the i-10.

20160510_152510.jpg