• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Twisted Hobbys Crack Laser, with a few new build tips

alawson999

70cc twin V2
Actually, we are all like that - it has to do with how human minds work - you can probably only think about one major thing and a couple of minor things at any one time - everything else has to be intuitive and nearly automatic or you will not keep up.

The challenge is to build your skills from this analyticaly, explicitly having to THINK about it , to the intuitive, in a way that let's you progress, enjoy, and not damage too much equipment.

3dNater explained the slightly forward CG perfectly - to put it in bumper sticker terms - CG farther to the rear makes the plane want to "swap ends" very quickly

swapping ends quickly is bad when learning, but wonderful when you have the ability to control and direct it - a little further down the learning curve.

Have fun - buy and extra tube of "WELDERS"

A quick question. On weighting the control surfaces 180° folded before installation, the tip in the DIY says a couple hour to overnight. Does that just essentially mean at least 6-8 hours. Got mine weighted right now but my impatience is kicking in and l really wanna get to gluing.

AKfreak

150cc
I let mine sit for 2-3 hours, I used cans of soup I think. You will know be cause you want the control surface to feel loose. When mine would flap over to almost full deflection with gravity, that was good enough for me (I flipped the airframe top and bottom to check it travel both ways).

I let mine sit for 2-3 hours, I used cans of soup I think. You will know be cause you want the control surface to feel loose. When mine would flap over to almost full deflection with gravity, that was good enough for me (I flipped the airframe top and bottom to check it travel both ways).

Thank you. They've been weighted now for over 6 hours. I've made it a point to not be at home so it's not eating my soul waiting it out. Lol.

hone

150cc
Well my original Laser is over a year old and still flying great. It is missing a few chunks of foam though so I'm going to pass it on to a young new pilot at my club and get a new one. I love the Laser, soooo locked in :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Got tangled up in my car this afternoon. Started the Crack early, then just ran out of time. I'm about 80% of the way thru. Should finish up after work tomorrow.

alawson999

70cc twin V2
Some advice from one who has been where you are going:

Apply the "blender mods" now, not later.

Take your time to get the CG just right .

Both are in the category of "wish I had done that"

Flying my Laser this morning - predict you will be smiling soon

alawson999

70cc twin V2
reinforcements of key stress points with blemderm tape and welders cement.

I first learned about it by reviewing the build logs on this forum - It was one of the Twisted Hobbies planes - might have even been the Laser build.

Let me poke around a bit - I might be able to point you directly there

alawson999

70cc twin V2
I always assumed it was called a blender mod because it would keep the airframe intact even in the most violent of maneuvers