• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Unknown 35% Extra 260... Give It New Life or Put It Out To Pasture

AKfreak

150cc
Unknown 35% Extra 260... Give It New Life or Put It Out To Pasture

14610017320_aac00bbcb4_c.jpg

Hey guys, I got this 35% (103" wing span) Extra 260 for free in a trade deal. The plane appears to be hand built, maybe a kit (any clues as to what it is please do tell), but not sure. I have had it sitting in my garage for 6 or 7 months now, trying to decide what to do with it.

The plane is pretty cool, but the problem is the builder decided to build it with limited throws. Why on earth he did that is beyond me. I get it, pattern planes, I-mac style don't use much throw. However why limit it during the build, when you can achieve this with the servo/arm/DR.

The plane weights 16 lbs. 5 oz. with everything except the motor, servos, electronics, and gas. I think I can lighten it 2 lbs with a New CF wing tube, CF landing gear, and modern wheel pants. That would put the plane around 14.5 lbs, is that heavy for a 35% airframe?

If I keep it, I will redo the wings, but putting in a new full length ailerons with the proper throws, and rework the throw on the rudder and elevator. I also thought about buying a Dalton wing kit, or finding some EF 104" Extra 300 wings and CF tube and retrofitting them to this plane.
If I went with a GP 123 v2, it should haul A$$ pretty good, at 5lbs, and if the servos, gas, and electronics weigh 5 lbs that would put this plane around 25 lbs. The EF 104" says the weight is 27 to 29 lbs.

I really hate to get rid of this plane, if I can bring it back to life. Someone spend a ton of time building this plane, and I can see this baby flying high once again. What would you do?

Below is a video of the mystery plane.
[video=youtube_share;0pMLaUxZgGQ]http://youtu.be/0pMLaUxZgGQ[/video]

Mics images of the plane.
14794355694_4068313d8b_c.jpg

Nice baffling
14610016390_ecaef30a89_c.jpg

Nice Wood Work
14610059509_2707534e04_c.jpg

The Tail. Rudder and Elevator are removable, and its rock solid when installed.
14816555203_149349d75c_c.jpg

14610084538_ca2d620c0c_c.jpg

14610056959_09c0ec5bbf_c.jpg

14610193977_ec40c54ab8_c.jpg

The Front Fuse is Plywood Boxed Around a Foam Core, and Stick Built In The Rear.
14773724236_536e792f60_c.jpg

Should this plane get rebuilt, or put out to pasture?
14794351394_877c864a6c_c.jpg

SnowDog

sounds like an awful lot of work to make that thing fly right...and get it to lose weight.

The question for me would be: do I like the overall look and basic construction of the airframe enough to invest that kind of time into it? Do I think I will enjoy the airplane immensely when I am done with it? How much time am I willing to invest in the plane? Do I have a "building season" where this could help pass the bad weather blues?

If you want to transform it into a 3D hucking machine, I suspect you may be disappointed...unless you like a good challenge...then perhaps this is it!

Sorry if I didn't directly answer your question! ;)

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Not sure what it is! Was thinking it could be from precisioncutkits.com but I don't see it there. Definitely a kit or maybe even scratch built from plans.

AKfreak

150cc
I think it might be scratch built. Ans [MENTION=2]SnowDog[/MENTION] I think it might be a lot of work, but it will be like nothing anyone else has. It might be worth the effort. The plane is pretty light.

gyro

GSN Contributor
looks like a candidate for some pyrotechnics and a camera/video camera. It looks solidly built, but there is much better stuff available on the market.

jmart95

70cc twin V2
See if somebody who wants to do imac or whatever wants it, but for 3d, probably not even worth the time to be honest. the scheme reminds me of the early slicks with the aj competition scheme though, which is kinda cool

D

Dead-Stick-Jake

Looks nicely built. But even with full throws the ailerons aren't long enough.

Where are you?

I know a couple locals who'd nut their pants to get it.