• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Viper-ST 100-120cc scratch build......it continues!

BalsaDust

Looks awesome Terry. Do you want to finish my Cap cowl plug for me?
encouragement.png
Just kidding I have been messing with it just not enough to post progress pictures

Fibertech

70cc twin V2
Jetpainter said

The name of the product is Spies Hecker Raderal Spray Polyester 3508. If you need any more info, let me know.

Was wondering if you have used this over the top of epoxy resin?

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Fibertech said
Jetpainter said

The name of the product is Spies Hecker Raderal Spray Polyester 3508. If you need any more info, let me know.

Was wondering if you have used this over the top of epoxy resin?
Though I always use it over epoxy primer, I have never tried it over epoxy resin. Now that you brought it up I want to do an experiment and see. I have an epoxy glass cowl at home that has an area I need to cut off. Later this week I'll test it and see.

I would imagine your concerns are adhesion and proper curing?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I have never shot Epoxy primer before and I need to shoot some on my canopy plug.    I got the Nason 491-16.      

Any recommendations on cure time before I do a little touch-up sanding?      I'm told I need to sand laterally with 340 grit to create small scratches to help the air escape, which make perfect sense.      

Also I have two options for guns and tips, I have a Devillbiss HVLP with a 1.0 tip (my typical top coat gun) and a Sata HVLP with a 1.4 tip that I have never used.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Terryscustom said
I have never shot Epoxy primer before and I need to shoot some on my canopy plug.    I got the Nason 491-16.      

Any recommendations on cure time before I do a little touch-up sanding?      I'm told I need to sand laterally with 340 grit to create small scratches to help the air escape, which make perfect sense.      

Also I have two options for guns and tips, I have a Devillbiss HVLP with a 1.0 tip (my typical top coat gun) and a Sata HVLP with a 1.4 tip that I have never used.
Terry, I emailed you a copy of Nasons tech sheet for the epoxy.

Overnight dry if you going to sand it. It may still be sort of gummy and clog the paper. If you can let it sit longer you might be better off.

As for the gun, the 1.4 tip is more inline with their recommendations, but since your doing a small area the the other may work.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Jetpainter said
Terryscustom said

Terry, I emailed you a copy of Nasons tech sheet for the epoxy.

Overnight dry if you going to sand it. It may still be sort of gummy and clog the paper. If you can let it sit longer you might be better off.

As for the gun, the 1.4 tip is more inline with their recommendations, but since your doing a small area the the other may work.
One other thing, make sure you let the epoxy sit for a minimum of 30 minutes after you mix before you spray it. Longer if it's cool in the shop. The induction period is important to that style of epoxy.

I use that product quite a bit since it seems to have better adhesion to bare metal then some of the others.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Jetpainter said One other thing, make sure you let the epoxy sit for a minimum of 30 minutes after you mix before you spray it. Longer if it's cool in the shop. The induction period is important to that style of epoxy.
SWEET, thanks!!!

tylerzx9r

100cc
If you can find out the info on the 3M gun Part #16587, and the caps you need from your local paint shop.... I really suggest using that. You can get caps of various sizes, the only reason is... if your using your Sata, and don't get it cleaned out well, it is a real high replacement cost over some epoxy primer that bites well. I also agree on the wait after mix time (called an induction period). If you want I can bring a gun and some caps for you to the party this weekend, you can try one before purchasing to know if you really want to go that route?.