• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Why Drones Are Scaring The Feds

Here's an interesting PDF on the subject. I haven't read it yet but figured I'd share here for disucssion.

http://remotecontrolproject.org/wp-...ostile-use-of-drones-report_open-briefing.pdf

A synopsis on Slashdot says this:

Even though the report notes that commercial drones have a limited flight time, range of movement, and payload capacity, and that their operators still have to be relatively close to a potential target, the researchers are particularly worried about the possibility of drones being used as remotely controlled explosive devices. They say, "The technology of remote-control warfare is impossible to control; the ultimate defence is to address the root drivers of the threat in the first place."

The last, bolded sentence is what I find most interesting and why I'm going to read the report.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I haven't yet read it, but what makes them think that someone hell bent on malicious intent is going to register?

M

Matt

Time out... The government knows exactly how powerful these can be... They take out targets all the time... The government is driving the technology, what we get is years old. They know exactly what is going on there is a lot of black world drones that don't even exist that only the government know about! Most of that technology the public will not ever get and its a good thing... But the "toys" we play with are years behind some of the stuff that is out there.

Krzy4RC

GSN Contributor
In the FAA rep speech given at AMA Expo, they admitted the following:

1. Registration in no way will prevent malicious attacks
2. The majority of the reports and problems are from "ignorant" newbies.
3. Typical/educated hobbyist not the problems.
4. Registration is to force some information on new users.

That is why they are letting AMA members use their AMA numbers and are considering cross-registration with AMA.

Biggest issue to me is I believe they should be requiring CBO (read: AMA) membership or registration. (Based on Sect 336)

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Biggest issue to me is I believe they should be requiring CBO (read: AMA) membership or registration. (Based on Sect 336)

The FCC could make this a requirement as condition of sale, at least for anything with on board camera's. There are a number of feasible methods to reduce John Idiot Doe from doing the thing's they are doing. But this is the easiest and quickest method the FAA can come up with. Of which I personally think will fall wayside in short order for it does absolutely nothing but punish us modelers whom are willing to comply.

M

Matt

The biggest issue in all the FAA BS that I have not seen a single thing about is... Are they going to open our 14 clubs back up in the DC area?? Clubs that have been operating for decades safely, and accident free suddenly got shut down! I now have to drive almost 2 hours just to fly! WTF!? For what reason?? No one can actually justify it

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
It was my understanding when I read the article that the fields were to be closed 2-4 months. The FAA were to be testing new radar systems in the hopes of being able to pick up smaller vehicle's, such as small commercial drones and all things r/c related. But my memory nearly always fails me.

M

Matt

It was my understanding when I read the article that the fields were to be closed 2-4 months. The FAA were to be testing new radar systems in the hopes of being able to pick up smaller vehicle's, such as small commercial drones and all things r/c related. But my memory nearly always fails me.
You are correct but them being able to pick up our rc airplanes is totally bogus... By the time they see our airplanes they will see every single bird, duck, and goose within 30 miles of DC... Are they going to have registration numbers as well?? They only way for this to really work, we would need to have transponders... It is just the AMA and FAA copping out by saying they are going to open them 1 or 2 at a time

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Oh my brother, I did not say I believed it, I feel there are, unknown to us, ulterior motives to the whole ordeal.

Last edited:
In the FAA rep speech given at AMA Expo, they admitted the following:

1. Registration in no way will prevent malicious attacks
2. The majority of the reports and problems are from "ignorant" newbies.
3. Typical/educated hobbyist not the problems.
4. Registration is to force some information on new users.

That is why they are letting AMA members use their AMA numbers and are considering cross-registration with AMA.

Watch your AMA dues skyrocket if FAA registration mandates AMA membership!!
I am not completely sure the AMA has had our best interest at heart....