• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

10cc 3D gasser --- An exercise with a VH Sabre-X 51" and a Evolution 10GX

I already have some 7245s for the 15cc project already.

I had a 59 slick and EF 60 edge and the EF plane clearly handled extra weight much better. I know in the 60 edge I can put at least one standard size servo in the tail to help with balance.

The servos were just a trial and were inexpensive. Might try the spektrum minis in this plane. Same servo spline so a lot less work to change.

I did end up ordering the Spektrum/Savox servos for this plane today. UPS says it will take them a whole week to move them from IL. I will refrain for a discourse on said subject.

Got a few flights today on her. Engine is running much better now and it is not stupid rich anyore.

Flight 1 I tried 14x4 again. Did not seem as nice this time, although it was windy. Spool up seemed slow and the guys commented that it sounded like too much prop. I though maybe I running it too lean and a richer mixture would have helped. Also it is much slower and fighting the wind was tough.

Flight 2, I tried the Aeronaut 13x6 and this was not a happy engine. I was fighting it for a minute, then the plane went all wierd and it landed in a less than glorious fashion at the bottom of the hill. At first I thought it was a lockout. i just watched the hatcam which shows nothing, but Cody though it might have been just going so fast that there was some flutter and the oscillations just got me into a bad input loop. I just killed the thottle and put her down. Damage was two rips to the covering on the bottom which was fixed with EAA stickers Joe gave me and it bent one of the landing gear.

Attempt 3, I put on the Xoar 13x4 and since the guys were talking I just put it on the ground and before I could get the TX and it taxied into the fence and ate the prop.

Flight 3: I forgot I also ordered a Falcon wood 13x4, found it, tuned it, and flew some more. The prop is less load than the Xoar and spooled up well (11k RPM). A minute in, the canopy blew off (Cody got it for me, thanks!) but at this point it was damn the topedoes and I just kept flying it. It does a lot of 3D moves well for my skill level. The power seemed down on the Falcon, but the response was excellent.

I can see the servos are not great and as I put the plane up tonight I decided the z-bends I did for the surfaces leaves a little too much slop and I think when the new servos come I will redo the linkages. I hate the EZ connectors it came with, and those will never stand up to the vibrations this thing has. Probably a trip to the LHS and some measurements to fix this. I have to get the landing gear out to bend it back in the vice which will be a PIA as the fuel tank is in the way. Also the wing covering started to come up and was again fixed with some decals for now.

I wish someone around here had an electric version to compare it to. I am sure I will see one at FLI in a few months.

I think I will bench it for the next week until the servos come in and I can do some of these little tweaks to her. I have a 25% Yak on the bench and a few other giant scale planes and projects to do. This plane is plenty of fun and is a very good size. Lands pretty easy. Just say no to wheel pants and grass with this plane.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
I did end up ordering the Spektrum/Savox servos for this plane today. UPS says it will take them a whole week to move them from IL. I will refrain for a discourse on said subject.

Got a few flights today on her. Engine is running much better now and it is not stupid rich anyore.

Flight 1 I tried 14x4 again. Did not seem as nice this time, although it was windy. Spool up seemed slow and the guys commented that it sounded like too much prop. I though maybe I running it too lean and a richer mixture would have helped. Also it is much slower and fighting the wind was tough.

Flight 2, I tried the Aeronaut 13x6 and this was not a happy engine. I was fighting it for a minute, then the plane went all wierd and it landed in a less than glorious fashion at the bottom of the hill. At first I thought it was a lockout. i just watched the hatcam which shows nothing, but Cody though it might have been just going so fast that there was some flutter and the oscillations just got me into a bad input loop. I just killed the thottle and put her down. Damage was two rips to the covering on the bottom which was fixed with EAA stickers Joe gave me and it bent one of the landing gear.

Attempt 3, I put on the Xoar 13x4 and since the guys were talking I just put it on the ground and before I could get the TX and it taxied into the fence and ate the prop.

Flight 3: I forgot I also ordered a Falcon wood 13x4, found it, tuned it, and flew some more. The prop is less load than the Xoar and spooled up well (11k RPM). A minute in, the canopy blew off (Cody got it for me, thanks!) but at this point it was damn the topedoes and I just kept flying it. It does a lot of 3D moves well for my skill level. The power seemed down on the Falcon, but the response was excellent.

I can see the servos are not great and as I put the plane up tonight I decided the z-bends I did for the surfaces leaves a little too much slop and I think when the new servos come I will redo the linkages. I hate the EZ connectors it came with, and those will never stand up to the vibrations this thing has. Probably a trip to the LHS and some measurements to fix this. I have to get the landing gear out to bend it back in the vice which will be a PIA as the fuel tank is in the way. Also the wing covering started to come up and was again fixed with some decals for now.

I wish someone around here had an electric version to compare it to. I am sure I will see one at FLI in a few months.

I think I will bench it for the next week until the servos come in and I can do some of these little tweaks to her. I have a 25% Yak on the bench and a few other giant scale planes and projects to do. This plane is plenty of fun and is a very good size. Lands pretty easy. Just say no to wheel pants and grass with this plane.

Great update, sorry about the headaches, but at least you got some air time on her.
NJSwede has an electric one, but not sure how far he is exactly.

These are normal issues when out in the "experimental" category. I don't have a ton of glow experience so some things that a old glow guy would know I don't about vibration issues at this size and tuning. I do like the way this plane flies and I feel I picked a good platform for this trial. I am 50/50 on if V2 should be another Sabre or do what Cody suggests and try the 57" Extra.

Next on the plate will hopefully be the 15cc project. Today I decided to scrap my H9 Katana that I super powered with a GT22. That is going in the Velox and the gear will go into the 15cc project. It is just not 3D capable enough for me.

gyro

GSN Contributor
These are normal issues when out in the "experimental" category. I don't have a ton of glow experience so some things that a old glow guy would know I don't about vibration issues at this size and tuning. I do like the way this plane flies and I feel I picked a good platform for this trial. I am 50/50 on if V2 should be another Sabre or do what Cody suggests and try the 57" Extra.

Next on the plate will hopefully be the 15cc project. Today I decided to scrap my H9 Katana that I super powered with a GT22. That is going in the Velox and the gear will go into the 15cc project. It is just not 3D capable enough for me.

I'd love to follow the project, the 57" would be a cool platform!

I put the airplane on the bench last night and pulled the gear out to rebend it. In the process I noticed the muffler was loose and it turns out the front bolt stripped the thread so I will have to do a repair on the muffler before I can fly it again. Ordered the heli coil to do this, but that might be a week.

In the meantime the new Spektrum 5040s showed up, so I might get the servo and linkage change done.

IF it is up and running, it might make an appearance at Nall. We shall see.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I put the airplane on the bench last night and pulled the gear out to rebend it. In the process I noticed the muffler was loose and it turns out the front bolt stripped the thread so I will have to do a repair on the muffler before I can fly it again. Ordered the heli coil to do this, but that might be a week.

In the meantime the new Spektrum 5040s showed up, so I might get the servo and linkage change done.

IF it is up and running, it might make an appearance at Nall. We shall see.

What do you think cause the muffler to get loose?

Muffler problems are common for some reason on this motor. If you look on the RCG and RCU threads on this motor you will see all sort of people having problems with the stock one.

In my particular case, I look back and I remember not feeling I got a tight fit on this particular bolt. The muffler was on tight, and I did the copper RTV routine and it lasted a number of flights. This slight bit of looseness caused the bolt to vibrate and it hogged out the thread. The muffler came loose before as I did not do a good enough job gooping the threads and muffler (hence the RTV and nordlocks) and this probably damaged the thread in the first place. I discovered this before it caused any sort of issue.

The moral of the story is to get the muffler on good in the first place and use loctite, copper RTV, and nordlocks, and you will not have any issues.

Still have to find some replacement pushrods and I have to work 8 out of the next 10 days so this will be a back burner project for a while.

Sorry for no update in a while as there has been nothing to report. The muffler repairs took a lot of time and in the end did not work. I got a few flights today on it with the new servos and the engine kept running inconsistently. Turns out the muffler was making it's way loose again. I will restate that the whole issue was created by me not securing the muffler correctly in the first place. Because of me using the hyde mount a lot more vibrations are absorbed in the motor itself which is not helping the kind of weak securing system with 2 M3 bolts. Anyways a buddy is going to weld the muffler and we are going to retap the muffler.

At this point I think the idea itself worked. The airplane does perform all the basic 3D maneuvers and will fly for over 20 minutes. I never refueled the plane today and did at least 4 flights before the muffler came off. I think I could make the airplane more reliable in a V2.

Also the tailwheel came off at some point and I learned how to do takeoffs without it. Down elevator to get the tail up and off you go. It stops very quickly now! I have a hobby king 30cc tailwheel I was going to put on this eventually anyways.

My giant scale flying is now getting in the way so my only goal is to have it working in time for FLI Jersey. All the components for the 15cc project have been assembled, but I have a 110" EF Yak on the bench that will get done first.

Got a few flights on the Sabre today. All the muffler problems are fixed and just flew it for fun. The hat cam battery died before I could get some video. I got bold with it hovering over the tall grass and lost orientation, but landed it in the rough with no issues. Replaced the tailwheel with the HK 30cc one and it seems all better now. Flew on the 13x4. I think I will put it in quarantine till Jersey FLI so people can get a pull on it.

The 15cc project parts are all gathered. I will start a build log on it when I get to it. I have high hopes for it.