• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

10cc 3D gasser --- An exercise with a VH Sabre-X 51" and a Evolution 10GX

I am closing the book on this particular airframe. I wrote some stuff in the end of project review on the first page, which I might add to later when I think of other facts to add and ideas. The overall weight of the plane needs to come down, or I need to find something with more wing area. It has been suggested to me by a number of people to do up a 57 Extra 330SC, but that will have to wait for later in the budget cycle as a lot of other projects have my attention.

The gear is being parted out to other planes and the engine will continue to get time on it. It is getting put into a sport plane so maybe after I get some time on it with different props I will get a better perception of what this motor can do.

Things I learned:
1) when you put the battery in the tail, you need to really beef up the tailwheel!
2) Solar 658s are not great 3D servos, ended up with Spektrum 5040s which worked.
3) Do not trust factory settings on the low speed needle. Both the this and the 15cc were way off.
4) The 10GX has issues with mufflers and vibration. Over engineer it, you will thank me.
5) Hyde mounts work, period.

I also learned a lot about making modifications to ARFs, some building skills, and a bit about airplane design. I stopped working on a kit I had worked on all winter which still is not done when I started this project. I really enjoyed doing something original. Even though it was not a raging success, it did work and is still in one piece.

Looking forward, the 15cc project is really just getting started and appears more promising. I appreciate everyone's support and interest in this little experiment.

With a profile you can probably run the "stock" muffler or use the Bisson type that I am currently using on this motor with a side mount.

Patrick put this motor on a Ultrastick 40 so we are still going through the stockpile of props to find one that works better in a touch and go then go fast application. My guess is 13x6 APC.

ryan_m

100cc
Was going to try an EVO 10cc in a TMPro Extra 260 profile. Any thoughts?

Just one thought - don't. That plane flies horribly for a profile. Plus the guy that designed and sold it has some history of being... well not the best. There are some old threads on theprofilebrotherhood.com about him and that plane. I helped destroy one of those in Memphis about 5-6 years back... paintball guns and a large gas motor being wielded like a chainsaw... carnage eveyrwhere!
I would do it with either one of these:
http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/profile/sabre-47-profile-3d-plane-arf-almost-ready-to-fly.html
or
http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/47edgearf/
http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/47proyakarf/

all 3 of those are similar in weight/wing area and fly much better than the tmpro plane...