• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

110" TIMBER Assembly Thread

Which Gas Engine will you use!?!?

• Total voters

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I have a confession to make. FedEx said my plane will be delivered today.... I went to bed thinking about the plane hoping to sign for it in time.... I DREAMT that he showed up, I was shirtless/just woke up, frantically looking over the box for damage (which there was) and the box was long and skinny for some reason o_O. That’s when it happened. I WOKE UP with the FedEx guy ringing the doorbell!! Eeeek!! Unlike my dream I threw on a sweatshirt and secured the package. Ha ha ha :D too funny.

Plane is double boxed and received no damage to the plane. Just a few dings and dents. More pics to come! Shes a beauty. :first_place:

5737D0B5-ECBC-4641-9399-EE509E81CCAA.jpeg BAE800CB-841E-4059-B9D5-7819B62295E5.jpeg 4862FEE3-525A-4DE2-B908-FD997BA5490F.jpeg AF85BA93-671E-4CC9-916F-6AE1EA1E58D0.jpeg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Uh oh. Moved the wing and something was rattling around...
Half a hinge popped out. Looks like it was twisted and sheared.

Edit: this appears to have been replaced at the factory and left inside. My hinges are fine.

Also found a pin block floating next to a pin.... check your hinges! Shoot.
1BADF076-4E94-4C62-9E56-683FA70D8BF2.jpeg 2EC02E16-E027-4FC3-9E32-8F9A3DC8A67B.jpeg

Last edited:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
All the other control surfaces looked pretty good. Cleaned up some excess glue, but overall after a little work, they move just about bevel to bevel. Although I know I could have done a way better job, it’s the price that we pay for letting someone else do the dirty work of hinging.
The one wing will have to have some work don’t to it. I can glue the flap hinge pin block back in. But I think the sheared pin is an aileron... we will have to do some more investigating.
57DEF7F8-2A4D-45BB-9900-E305E2256D3D.jpeg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Half a hinge popped out. Looks like it was twisted and sheared. Also found a pin block floating next to a pin.... check your hinges! Shoot.
View attachment 110831 View attachment 110832

I may be ok. I’m starting to think this pin was removed by force intentionally. I can see all the pins except the last outboard one. It’s just 46” away, 7 other pins inline, and looking through a 1” square hole ha ha.
By the looks of it, I should be able to see missing material around the hinge itself... I don’t! So this must have been replaced at the factory and they never took it out of the wing completely. Phew!!!
FABF5E94-13B4-4C27-A26F-BEECE6492CF2.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Half a hinge popped out. Looks like it was twisted and sheared.

Edit: this appears to have been replaced at the factory and left inside. My hinges are fine.

Also found a pin block floating next to a pin.... check your hinges! Shoot.
View attachment 110831 View attachment 110832
Can you imagine how impatient I am going to be waiting for mine to arrive. This is going to be painful.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Did some rude math, and figure out just how much heavier the XCub Gear with the PR 8.75” is compared to the stock gear with the foam 7” tires is.
Stock is about 1.2lbs
XCub with 8.75” PRs is about 3.8lbs
So that’s a 2.6lb increase using these bad boys.