• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

110" TIMBER Assembly Thread

Which Gas Engine will you use!?!?

• Total voters
IMG_1836.jpeg

320CKA

30cc
Man this thing is fun to fly! I'm not an accomplished 3D pilot yet, but this Timber is so much fun shooting touch and gos! The more wind the better! With almost 50 degrees of flap, it can touch down at a crawl - but takes some technique on power management! I use a Jeti Assist gyro, and I'm amazed how well it does in gusty winds. Today was above 105-109 degrees when I was flying with gusty winds. The Timber loves it. Still playing with the tail wheel springs, but in the mean time it is making me really good at using the rudder on the ground.

39B6C397-CB23-44E5-8A54-5B0A5882E37A.jpeg

A interesting modification.. the Pitts muffler cracked and came loose. Had a flex pipe laying around and installed it just for fun. -Probably the closest you get to the Harley-Davisson sound....but think it’s not to stay as the noise would make me very unpopular with the neighbors

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp

Nice! Couple things to think about.

You should use Silicon fuel tubing, not tygon. Tygon does not stretch and defeats the purpose. I dont see any barbs, not sure what's keeping the tubing on? Your tail spring appears more compressed than mine.

The tail wheel bracket bolt is basically strait up and down. Not sure if it's because mine came with three springs instead of two like the later kits or what.

That exhaust is wicked. It reminds me of the DHC-2 Beaver cabin heater muffler shroud.

I see you have an Ahi in the background. Been looking at that plane hard. I have a friend that has one here and would love to join/share the slope with him.

Last edited:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Man this thing is fun to fly! I'm not an accomplished 3D pilot yet, but this Timber is so much fun shooting touch and gos! The more wind the better! With almost 50 degrees of flap, it can touch down at a crawl - but takes some technique on power management! I use a Jeti Assist gyro, and I'm amazed how well it does in gusty winds. Today was above 105-109 degrees when I was flying with gusty winds. The Timber loves it. Still playing with the tail wheel springs, but in the mean time it is making me really good at using the rudder on the ground.

Dial in about 20-23% down elevator to flap mix. I'm a die hard for throttle/airspeed management over mixing, but with these barn door flaps, it cuts your down elevator input workload down immensely, but yet still requires input depending on other factors (ie: speed, throttle, AOA).
This plane is born for touch and go's!!! Part of the reasoning I'm not doing 3D with it with than some KE and Hovering - I have other planes for the other stuff. My timber is heavy with all the bells and whistles. It's a super fun bush plane that can do a lot more!

Nice! Couple things to think about.

You should use Silicon fuel tubing, not tygon. Tygon does not stretch and defeats the purpose. I dont see any barbs, not sure what's keeping the tubing on? Your tail spring appears more compressed than mine.

The tail wheel bracket bolt is basically strait up and down. Not sure if it's because mine came with three springs instead of two like the later kits or what.

That exhaust is wicked. It reminds me of the DHC-2 Beaver cabin heater muffler shroud.

I see you have an Ahi in the background. Been looking at that plane hard. I have a friend that has one here and would love to join/share the slope with him.

Re the Tygon.. yes, thats a good point and replace it with silicon. But it works fine for the few flights I've had with it like this. Its not finalized design, as (for one) you point out there tube is kept on by friction only.. Solution seems to work, but doubt it will in the long run. -WIP..

Regarding the spring, it may be exaggerated by the angle of the photo, but the two blade spring is soft. Will double check when I go and look later.

The Ahi you can get from Europe.. I.e a shop here in Norway: https://www.rc-modellflysport.no/products/dream-flight-ahi -I am sure they ship one to Alaska..
(-If we get over the Corona issues any time soon, I can get some of my colleagues that fly between Norway and US to bring one across.. (Can revisit that in due time.. :oops:))

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Re the Tygon.. yes, thats a good point and replace it with silicon. But it works fine for the few flights I've had with it like this. Its not finalized design, as (for one) you point out there tube is kept on by friction only.. Solution seems to work, but doubt it will in the long run. -WIP..

Regarding the spring, it may be exaggerated by the angle of the photo, but the two blade spring is soft. Will double check when I go and look later.

The Ahi you can get from Europe.. I.e a shop here in Norway: https://www.rc-modellflysport.no/products/dream-flight-ahi -I am sure they ship one to Alaska..
(-If we get over the Corona issues any time soon, I can get some of my colleagues that fly between Norway and US to bring one across.. (Can revisit that in due time.. :oops:))

Gotcha! Looking good though!

As for the Ahi, The company is here in California, USA. I have their Alula and love it. Very good company! No point in sending it across the pond twice LOL!