• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

110" TIMBER Assembly Thread

Which Gas Engine will you use!?!?

• Total voters
I am running a Epwr 40cc , yes you cannot run anything more than 20-10 that is what i am running now. Also made internal ducting from the cowl inlets onto the sides of the motor, And last added the TrueTurn cooling spinner, and added a air deflection plate to the bottom of the fuselage to pull the hot air out. Ever since I made all those upgrades my Cooling problems have disappeared. But one thing you cannot run full throttle for more than 3 minutes continues it will overheat.
It took a lot of work to cool the ESC if look back in the thread you find a bunch of pictures on how the ESC is setup and air directed over the ESC.
If look back in this thread you can find most of the info. Look at pages 32,33 and 34.

Sorry, Snoopy. didn't realize that was you at first before my last reply, because you changed your profile pic. I remember now you posting those photos of your air duct setup. Went back and had a look. I might have to do some of that as well. Thanks, man!
-Clint

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Hope that these pictures help can’t find one of the cowl ducting but all it is, is 90 degree duct from the front hole in the cowl directing the air over the motor from both sides with a clearance of about 3mm all around the duct to the motor. The duct is the same length as the motor. If you need a sketch ask.

Attachments

• 2F5D1F5C-78BB-45CD-B6BC-2DFF4FC81AB6.jpeg
    2F5D1F5C-78BB-45CD-B6BC-2DFF4FC81AB6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 244
  • 79F5F0A7-CA9E-4631-AA2A-0991AAD85327.jpeg
    79F5F0A7-CA9E-4631-AA2A-0991AAD85327.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 233
  • 0055661A-A827-409C-9AE2-3A17E6AA5B59.jpeg
    0055661A-A827-409C-9AE2-3A17E6AA5B59.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 210

RC80AK

50cc
Got the aluminum at last.
Did an AutoCAD drawing to get all the radius’s correct. Made hard wood block to bend the gear to. Also added some width and height to the gear to get a little more prop clearance.
View attachment 115425
Looking good! Glad to see USA material, I've had issues with china sourced 4130 and aluminum being very brittle. A little heat and the generous bend radius should work great.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Looking good! Glad to see USA material, I've had issues with china sourced 4130 and aluminum being very brittle. A little heat and the generous bend radius should work great.
When you say a little heat , can you elaborate a little please. Some details to help me bend the material.

RC80AK

50cc
When you say a little heat , can you elaborate a little please. Some details to help me bend the material.
Play the flame of a propane torch directly on the area you want the bend for 30-60 sec. If you put a little pressure on the bend as you near temp you'll feel it start to soften. Have something ready to quickly check your bend angle. Play the heat on the bend if you take a little bit getting the angle. I'd recommend doing a couple test bends on the wide section of your wedge cut offs from the gear blanks.

It takes a little effort but once you get a system down it's a painless process. So many of these planes come with tiny little gear and a little more stiffness/prop clearance is well worth it!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well it is all done, gear replaced and new AirTops wheels installed. The gear is thicker, wider and the stance is 1 inch wider and 2 inches taller. The only negative is that the plane is 14 oz heavier. The positive is that I am rid of the useless gear and the rock hard wheels that the plane was supplied with.
E823B9EA-FB1B-4F54-A1B6-5B4A8C4C1EC6.jpeg

RC80AK

50cc
Well it is all done, gear replaced and new AirTops wheels installed. The gear is thicker, wider and the stance is 1 inch wider and 2 inches taller. The only negative is that the plane is 14 oz heavier. The positive is that I am rid of the useless gear and the rock hard wheels that the plane was supplied with.
View attachment 115428
Very nice! What was the weight difference between the gear legs? Assuming the Airtops are the majority of the weight increase?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Very nice! What was the weight difference between the gear legs? Assuming the Airtops are the majority of the weight increase?
The gear was just under 3 oz. you are correct most of it is the wheels.
One thing it was very difficult to bend the aluminum glad it was not 1/4 inch thick I do not believe I would have been able to bend it.