• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

110" TIMBER Assembly Thread

Which Gas Engine will you use!?!?

• Total voters

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks Fellas! The Falcon 23x8 CF luckily didn't touch the water much. There are some small erosion marks... if it were a wood prop that'd be a different story. I've seen what water can do to a float plane with a wood prop!

Well. thought I'd better post something about my Timber build, nothing much to report as I am waiting for servos to arrive and almost everything else. I had to import even epoxy and CA as there are no local suppliers here in the Philippines. Managed to get all the servo horns glued in, rudder installed. everything else is on hold waiting for materials. seriously contemplating putting an electric motor in this thing now, purely for practical reasons and ease of use, I'm a gas man at heart, so it's not cast in stone yet. A little green on my electric set up knowledge. looking at the Turnigy Roto Max 50cc motor, I can't source the eflite 180, or the GP 170 easily. It is a honking big electric egg beater. I did a cardboard mock up to see if I could shoe horn it in and it seems as if it will fit, but extremely tight. Using this motor will allow for good performance on 10 cells there by maybe saving some weight. preliminary calculations bring the electric install within a few ounces of a DLE 55 with fuel. Any suggestions or advice is welcome as I'm not sure my sense of this right. should be getting around 85 amps at full power using a 22/10 prop on 10 cells. 2200 to 2800 (at full power) watts depending on prop. With 12s, 4500 amps plus, and 18 kg thrust is possible with a 24/10 prop, beast mode. Going to order Airtop 180mm wheels and not decided what to do about the gear yet, reinforce it or buy TNT aluminum gear. I'm going to reinforce the bottom strut attachment by running an aluminum strap through fuse to tie them together, may poke access holes in the wing reinforce there, and fabricate thin aluminum access panels.
IMG20210404112326.jpg IMG20210404112351.jpg IMG20210404112358.jpg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Well. thought I'd better post something about my Timber build, nothing much to report as I am waiting for servos to arrive and almost everything else. I had to import even epoxy and CA as there are no local suppliers here in the Philippines. Managed to get all the servo horns glued in, rudder installed. everything else is on hold waiting for materials. seriously contemplating putting an electric motor in this thing now, purely for practical reasons and ease of use, I'm a gas man at heart, so it's not cast in stone yet. A little green on my electric set up knowledge. looking at the Turnigy Roto Max 50cc motor, I can't source the eflite 180, or the GP 170 easily. It is a honking big electric egg beater. I did a cardboard mock up to see if I could shoe horn it in and it seems as if it will fit, but extremely tight. Using this motor will allow for good performance on 10 cells there by maybe saving some weight. preliminary calculations bring the electric install within a few ounces of a DLE 55 with fuel. Any suggestions or advice is welcome as I'm not sure my sense of this right. should be getting around 85 amps at full power using a 22/10 prop on 10 cells. 2200 to 2800 (at full power) watts depending on prop. With 12s, 4500 amps plus, and 18 kg thrust is possible with a 24/10 prop, beast mode. Going to order Airtop 180mm wheels and not decided what to do about the gear yet, reinforce it or buy TNT aluminum gear. I'm going to reinforce the bottom strut attachment by running an aluminum strap through fuse to tie them together, may poke access holes in the wing reinforce there, and fabricate thin aluminum access panels.

@Snoopy1 will be your guy for a comparison. Electric will be floaty and fun. The main advantage with Gas is the flight times... even with a 17oz tank. Almost get bored of flying and have to land prior to refueling... or lets be honest... I've been flying my timber into the ground before I have to refuel LOL!! The last four times I've taken it out I broke something three of them HA! Wingtip stalled into the ground, prop entered a lump of sand, and more recently attempted to scoop watery sand with my elevator counter balance... Shes really becoming a true bush plane! Battle Scars and all! Still working on the video, haven't had too much time to fiddle with it. I am getting close though

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Read through your comments about the motor power I believe some of the numbers you have started are incorrect please reread it and correct for example 4500 amps?
At present I an flying with a 20-10 propeller and pulling 90 amps on a 12s setup. With this setup the Timber will easily hang on the propeller and pull out. The plane is less than 20 lbs when taking off. Flying with 5000 mAh pack I can fly comfortable 7 minutes doing everything thing I want to aerobics and hanging on the propeller.

Read through your comments about the motor power I believe some of the numbers you have started are incorrect please reread it and correct for example 4500 amps?
At present I an flying with a 20-10 propeller and pulling 90 amps on a 12s setup. With this setup the Timber will easily hang on the propeller and pull out. The plane is less than 20 lbs when taking off. Flying with 5000 mAh pack I can fly comfortable 7 minutes doing everything thing I want to aerobics and hanging on the propeller.

Thanks for the tips. Yes 4500 WATTS supposed to be... I'm curious as to which motor you are using so I can get some comparative specs, problem is some manufacturers don't publish detailed specs for their motors. I understand KV and watts/ volts/ Amps. But all the more esoteric numbers I am not versed in. the motor I mentioned above is very large size (80mm diameter) as compared to say the Eflite power 180 at 63mm diameter, or the GP rimfire 170. anyway still shopping, and honestly every time I watch a video of a DLE powered version I backslide :)
Oh and my weight calculations were off, the electric set up with the above mentioned motor is 1.5 lbs. more heavy with 5 cell set up. most of those figure I mentioned were taken from others posts on their installations so no way to verify them as accurate.