• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

12S power systems ideas and options

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Yes, we've discussed the 195Kv option with the 21x10 Falcon in another thread, and that's the setup I would used on 12S. Using the constants I know work for all the other Motrolfly motors I use, the 21x10 on the 195Kv with 12S should do 3180W and 72.6A at 7135 RPMs. With a 2x 6S 3300 pack, my 78 will come in at 12.08 pounds, which includes a separate 2S Rx battery with a HD JR switch... 260 Watts per pound.

The 20x8 is actually bryansifsof44's setup now in a 71 Slick and power in the video with the 10 pound plane is sick

Last edited by a moderator:

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Here's the chart with the potential values for a 180Kv and a 22x10 PJN as well as others. The yellow highlighted rows represent the 4330 in 180 and 195 Kv, and the 200Kv is the 5335. The 1005g weight is speculation, and the all-up weight (AUW) and Watts per pound (W/lb) is with the 78 Extra. Power is a calculation of Torque and Angular Velocity. P/Wt is a power to weight value using this power value and is how the chart data is sorted.

Pushing the lighter motors (560 to 595 grams) to a power value higher than ~280 may not be a good idea. Also, how pitch and diameter influence actual Rev speed is unknown to me with some of these motors, so the RPMs for the last 5 motors is speculation. It's usually not the motor, but battery health and ESC capabilities. The 680 and 880 gram motors are Hacker and the 571 and 1005 grams are subsonic's motors.

When I use 8 and 10 pitch props, I like to look for things like pitch speed since it influences how I interpret performance, so the blue horizontal line is about 60 mph. I also try to keep the Amps under the green line so all setups here should be safe, but some are pushing what could be the limits for me here in Florida during the summer, and so far, I've never had heat issues with any Motrolfly motors. The Hackers do run very hot in comparison, but I've yet to see it influence performance. But I'd never run a Hacker back-to-back like I would one of Ken's motors.

These are all 12S setups except for the first row, which is one of the current 10S setups we're running in the 78.

Attachments

• 12S Prop Performance 010214.JPG
    12S Prop Performance 010214.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 330

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
And here is that plane on the 10S (21x10 Falcon on the A60-7S) 13.1 pound setup with 2x 5S 5000's for reference...

[video=youtube;319sy2HUoRA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=319sy2HUoRA[/video]

skibum44

70cc twin V2
I've done some 4330 12s motors that will run 3000 to 3200 watts.
The 216Kv with a 20x8 was hitting 72amps and 3200 watts using 2 2600 glacier 30C packs.
The 195Kv and a 21x10 would probably be the same watts. Maybe a lower Kv of around 180 would work well with a 22x10

Ken could you hit 180kV? I would really like to test out a 180-185 with a 22x10. I may send my 206kV motor for a rewind when I get closer to getting a 78". I also might just keep or sell it and get another. Really would like to test it with a 21x8 before I do that though.

Ken Man

SITE SPONSOR
GSN SPONSOR
I think 14 turn will get it to 185Kv, 206 is 12T and 195 is 13T
14T will be a pain and probably have to charge $45 for the rewind, it will be about 15' of copper per phase 168 turns for the entire stator and probably an hour or more just to wind it, but I'll do it :)

Just shoot me an email when you know what you want to do.
subsonicplanes@yahoo.com (sales@subsonicplanes doesn't have a lot of memory so use the Yahoo account)

skibum44

70cc twin V2
Thanks Ken you are the man. I will definitely go that route when I for sure I am going to power a 78" bird... Just waiting on a EXP in that class. Thanks
Bryan

zmonster97

Motrolfly 5335 update:
Found out that these are not in the shipment coming to me today or tomorrow. I made a few small changes and that has held thing up. One of which is the prop washer, as you can see in the picture it is rather thin though it does not do much but make a template for drilling holes through the prop if one wants to and protect the prop from getting damaged by the nut. I was told it looked bad being this thin and agreed so had that changed.

I'm hoping they get sent out mid January still.

Sounds awesome Ken! Will hopefully have one of these in my 92 edge!

Manta

70cc twin V2
Thanks for shedding some light on this new motor. Ken knows that I have a 50cc airplane sitting here waiting for this motor for quite some time now, and I know the it will all be worth the wait.

I need to clear up a few things, tho. Matt mentioned 4800-4900 Watts on 70A, which is a virtual impossibility without 17 cells, so I want to make sure that you prolly meant 100A.

Yes 100amps. Sorry Manta had a brain fart when typing.. I saw 110 on the glacier packs..the watts on the logger said 4800 watts peak on all the packs. i used some new packs that Mac was having built for his store before he retired.The thunderpowers are officially deceased. lol junk

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Thanks, Manta... and can you tell us if the 31.4 oz you got is just the motor, and if so, what the AUW might be with the cross mount and hardware?