• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 20cc Edge 540 Profile “The Glitter”

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok sir let’s talk about the CG of the plane please. If we build the plane as shown on the drawings can we assume that it will be close to balanced. With that assumption is the gas tank on the CG. And the location of the elevator and rudder servos placed as back as possible. We do not have much wiggle room with the battery in the wing maybe one or 2 inches forward or backwards. Can give us a little insight.

BalsaDust

Ok sir let’s talk about the CG of the plane please. If we build the plane as shown on the drawings can we assume that it will be close to balanced. With that assumption is the gas tank on the CG. And the location of the elevator and rudder servos placed as back as possible. We do not have much wiggle room with the battery in the wing maybe one or 2 inches forward or backwards. Can give us a little insight.

Headed to a meeting at church. Will give some insight once it’s done. May not be till morning.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp

Just let someone else build it first and let you know :epic:

When I built a mojo40 there was enough room in the wing to reposition the battery and then the rails provided a little wiggle room forward and aft to accommodate a little CG placement. Usually the fuel tank just is where it is - don't overthink it.
If it's tail heavy - throw a metal spinner on it, move the battery forward (LiPo vs A123), and the motor.
nose heavy - no spinner, battery aft in wing (LiPo vs A123), motor aft, heavier tail servos, heavy tail wheel.
I was planning on trying it out at the center of lift on the wing, and seeing what happens. The edge wing is usually pretty tolerant of a wide CG range... I'd imaging this would be similar. Basically once in ARF mode, I'm going to figure out where the gear needs to be based on how the wee glitter's CG was per Chris.

BalsaDust

B58E7485-2661-46F4-BB49-87C77E3D3947.jpeg

I will do the calculations in the morning but to be honest with all of the edges we have done in the Glitter series from the little small Electric one and even the 55cc gasser everyone when I balanced it I would just pick it up between my fingers right where I marked up the picture above. If it was close enough there then it was close enough for me to feel comfortable flying it and adjust from there. I know the Electric and the piped two stroke versions where pretty much spot on there and the 55cc one I ended up moving the battery further aft to fit my taste a little better.

BalsaDust

Ok I crunched the numbers this morning. I normally base things off of around 33% of the root cord measurement. This puts the CG at 6.25" for the LE which is pretty much dead center of the rear servo rail in the wing and also lines up with the spot on the fuse I referenced last night. Hope that's helpful.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok I crunched the numbers this morning. I normally base things off of around 33% of the root cord measurement. This puts the CG at 6.25" for the LE which is pretty much dead center of the rear servo rail in the wing and also lines up with the spot on the fuse I referenced last night. Hope that's helpful.
That’s great thanks for the info we now have a location to shoot for.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well spent the day on the Cad drawings fitting in the OS Engine and looking at how I am going to fit the servos.
Made a drawing of the 8 oz tank to see how looks and we’re it fits best in to the plane. Looks like I can make it fit under the wing about 14% ahead of the CG so it is vert close to being on CG. Will take some screen shots when it gets darker because my screen is very shiny and taking a picture of it is pretty useless during the day.
One thing guys this is just me enjoying my self and looking how it can fit together. This is by no means the only way, just seeing what is possible and throwing it out there and seeing what you gentlemen think.
Pictures will follow later.

Last edited:

BalsaDust

Everything up front looks great. Servos in the tail should be moved forward some though. Also we normally just mount them going through the fuse. I will find a picture and post it.