• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 20cc Edge 540 Profile “The Glitter”

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Found an old weight sheet of a 20cc profile. Will be interesting to see how we compare to some of the older designs. And discuss what we find to be correct and incorrect.
24F07E52-54F1-48C0-B8FE-1204EF603DD3.jpeg

The only thing I can say is the present 20cc profile that I am repairing that I just put on a scale just the fuselage nothing on it no wheels , Tailwheel or anything, but it does include all the tail feathers . Now I did make the fuselage 4 inches longer at one time and the repair it now weighs 1 pound 10 Oz which is still almost 4 oz lighter than the spec sheet above, the spec sheet looks heavy to me by quite a dit, my plane is an 10 year old AW Pro260.

Last edited:

BalsaDust

If this things comes out that heavy then you used crappy wood and way to much glue. I’m really hopeful that it will be 7-1/2 or less.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Have to agree with you. Built a 50cc plane and everything and it came out 12 lbs 3 oz.
Just weighed one wing and it was 13.75 oz and the chart is 1 lbs 6.2 oz which is more 8 oz heavier than the wing on the Pro260 that is a big difference for just one wing panel.
When our new plane is built and we come out 7 1/2 lbs or less I will be one happy person. Can just imagine how it will fly.

Last edited:

BalsaDust

Have to agree with you. Built a 50cc plane and everything and it came out 12 lbs 3 oz.
Just weighed one wing and it was 13.75 oz and the chart is 1 lbs 6.2 oz which is more 8 oz heavier than the wing on the Pro260 that is a big difference for just one wing panel.
When our new plane is built and we come out 7 1/2 lbs or less I will be one happy person. Can just imagine how it will fly.

Hopefully something like this only bigger.

karolh

30cc
My last scratch build is a 69" span profile using the Extra 300L outline and mated to a pair of donated Redwing MX2 wing panels and powered by a Mintor 22cc with an AUW of 9.25 lbs. and a w/loading of 22 ozs. The entire outer fuse was framed up with 1/2" w x 3/8" thk. Poplar wood sticks with balsa internals, and has a 1/2" dia. CF rod running approx. 3/4 the full length for added strength. The fuse is covered with lightweight 3/16" thk. lite ply door skins which was further lightened with large holes. At its present weight the model is not 3D capable but is a nice sport flier with absolutely no bad habits.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
My last scratch build is a 69" span profile using the Extra 300L outline and mated to a pair of donated Redwing MX2 wing panels and powered by a Mintor 22cc with an AUW of 9.25 lbs. and a w/loading of 22 ozs. The entire outer fuse was framed up with 1/2" w x 3/8" thk. Poplar wood sticks with balsa internals, and has a 1/2" dia. CF rod running approx. 3/4 the full length for added strength. The fuse is covered with lightweight 3/16" thk. lite ply door skins which was further lightened with large holes. At its present weight the model is not 3D capable but is a nice sport flier with absolutely no bad habits.
All you need to be 3D capable is a bigger motor!!! lol

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Just got notification that my 0.605 tube is on its way, and the drawings have been ordered will pick them tomorrow or later to day just to let you guys know the drawings are sized at 36 by 80 inches all three you cannot get them printed everywhere.