• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 20cc Edge 540 Profile “The Glitter”

BalsaDust

What is happening is when you are doing violent snaps at very high speeds the following happens the wing is extremely strong and stiff and also the fuselage with both having carbon tubes. But unfortunately all of these forces are focused into one location and that is were the wing tube and the fuselage intersect and it is only 5/8 wide. So what happens is that the hole in the fuselage gets enlarged quite quickly, and the balsa around the wing gets compressed . Next thing you know is that the wing is loose.
Still working on the changes depending what happens on the next few flights will decide to leave the changes made or put it away and take a long look at it over the coming winter. The changes I have made are not proven yet.
Thanks for the input there. I did not experience this on the 55cc version but could be from it being bigger and a bit slower in its moves. If your fix holds up then please let me know and I can make changes to the drawings. Otherwise I have a different idea that could help solve it.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok have about 25 additional flights on the plane after the first repair and after 5 flights the wing was starting to loosen up again. So the last fix it is 20 flights old and still as solid as when started off. No guarantees that it is a total fix but looks promising. Ok.
Drilled out the hole in the fuselage and installed a maple hardwood donut. Then fixed all the depressions on the fuselage, after that thinned some epoxy down 50% and painted the fuselage around the wing to harden everything up. Then fitted the carbon tube to the donut and glued it in. After I did that no more problems. The first time I did not glue the carbon tube in and started to loosen up again. Hope this helps.

BalsaDust

I like it. Thats how I did the landing gear mounts on the 55cc version was to embed 1" oak dowels where the mounting bolts would pass. Out of curiosity when you built it did you install a wing tube phenolic or sleeve in the fuse or just drilled the hole in the fuse to accept the wing tube.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I like it. Thats how I did the landing gear mounts on the 55cc version was to embed 1" oak dowels where the mounting bolts would pass. Out of curiosity when you built it did you install a wing tube phenolic or sleeve in the fuse or just drilled the hole in the fuse to accept the wing tube.
It had small pice of phenolic sleeve that was glued in the fuselage.

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok have a question to all building and flying Glitters and or profile planes. When doing a lateral balance. ( note the engine is off set to the center line of the fuselage)
Do you pick it up by the propeller, or
Do you pick it up with your finger on the nose of the plane on center line of the fuselage.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok have a question to all building and flying Glitters and or profile planes. When doing a lateral balance. ( note the engine is off set to the center line of the fuselage)
Do you pick it up by the propeller, or
Do you pick it up with your finger on the nose of the plane on center line of the fuselage.

I never seemed to care, too much repair glue to justify a lateral balance... these guys are just meant to be flown hard and put away wet anyways. LOL
How does a guy do it anyways with motor offset and the inability to pick it up from it's neutral axis? too many variables to get it right so why loose hair over it? With all your trims set level, fly it, trim it with weight if you want on the rising wing instead of trim.