• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D 20cc Giles 202 Profile

BalsaDust

IMG_1359.JPG
IMG_1360.JPG

First portion of the CNC cut sheeting is glued up. Needless to say this won't make it into the kit. Went together great and looks great but took way longer than I expected. Prolly 20 minutes or more so I don't think it's going to be worth the effort. Also biggest thing as the sheeting gets cut to precise specs. If the plans aren't printed exactly right then the sheeting won't line up properly with the wing ribs. Anyways that's all for tonight. Hopefully I will have the wings partially framed up tomorrow.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Do not know about the fit but the sheeting layout looks great and the sheeting joints look good.
The small tabs look great and they seem to fit well together that will make a very strong joint, like that.

BalsaDust

IMG_1367.JPG

All the sheeting is done, ply rib doubler for R1 is glued on, 3/8" main spars are cut, and 1/2" LE spars are cut. Just need to rib down some 1/4" stock for the sub spars and I'm ready to start building. Got to get going to class first though so I will get back on it either tonight or tomorrow after running some errands.

Alky6

150cc
Wow! Looks fantastic, and a lot of work! Very intriguing designs and ideas you are throwing out here!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Question, I have a A/W Pro 260, it flys ok but not the best. I extended the fuselage by 4 inch and that made a big improvement. But it still has a lot of wing rock at first I thought it was me but after seeing a few other Pro 260 they are all the same. What I would like to do over the winter is buil a new set of wings for the plane, that do not snap out and wing rock. Do you by any chance have a suggestion on profile, shape and anything else that would help me come with something better thanks.

BalsaDust

the questions i have for you are this. how much does the plane weigh currently and how much wing area does it have?

BalsaDust

Ok so you have the 40 size one. For some reason I thought you had the 20cc version. Honestly at that weight I'm not sure you will be able to get rid of it. As a reference most 40 sized profiles come in around 4 to 4-1/2 pounds which keeps the wing loading way down. At the weight yours is at the wing loading is almost twice as much. Since you made the fuse longer you could get away with making the wingspan longer say up to 52" and use the same basic airfoil which should help bring it down but the best thing that could be done is to build a completely new fuse as I know from having one of the aeroworks profiles that most of the weight is in the fuse itself.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok so you have the 40 size one. For some reason I thought you had the 20cc version. Honestly at that weight I'm not sure you will be able to get rid of it. As a reference most 40 sized profiles come in around 4 to 4-1/2 pounds which keeps the wing loading way down. At the weight yours is at the wing loading is almost twice as much. Since you made the fuse longer you could get away with making the wingspan longer say up to 52" and use the same basic airfoil which should help bring it down but the best thing that could be done is to build a completely new fuse as I know from having one of the aeroworks profiles that most of the weight is in the fuse itself.

This is embarrassing I gave you the wrong information and yes you are correct it is a 20cc version. The weight is correct I double checked it this morning again but the wing span is 56 inches and the wing area is 952 square inches. Sorry about that

BalsaDust

IMG_1396.JPG

Finally starting on framing the wing. All dry fitted right now. Taking my sweet time as I need everything right so the CNC cut sheeting fits properly.

@Snoopy1 i know lots have had trouble with wing rock on that plane but I can honestly say at that weight it shouldn't be a problem as it's a decent weight for a 20cc profile. How thick is the wing?