• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 25% Krier Kraft build, a tribute to grampa.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
You get to spend about as much time on your Krier as I do the Jtec. Sure is a busy season no doubt. None the less, she is looking really great. I really enjoy seeing your photo updates and descriptions. It is really fun to see things like this come together. I sometimes look back at some of the things I have done. First photo next to a final photo. It's kind of amazing how much change occurs. I am really looking forward to seeing your Krier at the covering stage, then ready to maiden photo. Staying tuned for your next update.

Have an awesome Christmas.

Doc

50cc
Got on to this a couple of days ago and just got to the end of it. I have a set of RCM plans for a smaller Krier and really like the airplane but I like then bigger than the one I have. This one is a nice size, what exactly is the span? How much does it weigh at this point, I know it was real light in the beginning but you haven't mentioned where it's at now. What amount of decalage will you set the upper wing up for, there was mention of +1.5deg in the lower wing, where is the stab and top wing? Sorry to ask a billion questions but I just got here. lol Great build, good craftsmanship, beautiful airplane. Biplanes rule. Warning, watch out if you build any WWI models, they're like potato chips, hard to have just one.
Doc

Bipeguy03

150cc
Got on to this a couple of days ago and just got to the end of it. I have a set of RCM plans for a smaller Krier and really like the airplane but I like then bigger than the one I have. This one is a nice size, what exactly is the span? How much does it weigh at this point, I know it was real light in the beginning but you haven't mentioned where it's at now. What amount of decalage will you set the upper wing up for, there was mention of +1.5deg in the lower wing, where is the stab and top wing? Sorry to ask a billion questions but I just got here. lol Great build, good craftsmanship, beautiful airplane. Biplanes rule. Warning, watch out if you build any WWI models, they're like potato chips, hard to have just one.
Doc

Span is 71 inches length is 59 inches so it is exactly 1/4 scale according to the measurements published in the magazine article I have on the full scale. Where the plane sits right now I'm about 5.5 pounds give or take (I've added and removed a few things since the last time I weighed it) I'm shooting for a 16-17 pound finished weight, my Grampa's weighed 18 pounds and flew great (this isn't a 3D type of airplane). Stab and top wing incidence is at 0 degrees to the thrust line and the bottom wing is just over 1 degree positive, the original plans called for zero degrees +/- 2 degrees in both wings and the stab and I decided to just keep them in the recommended range from the original plans.

Thanks for following along!! :)

Bipeguy03

150cc
Hope everyone has a very merry Christmas!

I stole a hour and played with the Krier this evening. Even though I still have to put caps on the top wing I pinned it all together with the intention of starting to make the "N" struts but got sidetracked lol. Sitting on my tookus and eyeballing it I decided to play around with a cowling mock up.

294.jpg

295.jpg

Still occasionally just have to eyeball it and do some "planning"..... AKA Daydream.

298.jpg

299.jpg

My really quick, fast, ugly and does not look anything like what the finished product will look like or I'll tear it all apart and start over cowling mock up ;)

291.jpg

Last thing, anyone got an Idea where I can get a decal like this? I know it is WAAAAAY to early to be thinking about stickers but I figured it might take me awhile to find one. It has to be so small (only about an inch tall) most of the graphics cutters can't or wont do it. Anyway it will be some time before I need it!

8 (2).jpg

Doc

50cc
The numbers sound real good, it's the same size as my first big bird (1989) and just a tad heavier. You get around to digitizing the plans you might put me on the list, she's a beaut. Charles at CFC Graphics can make that graphic for you. Send it to him and tell him how tall and wide you want it.
Looking great . Don't worry about it not being a 3D airplane, I don't 3 D.
Doc

Doc

50cc
At the top of post 255 I don't see a tab for the rear flying wire, does it mount differently? Just haven't gotten around to mounting it or what. Really nice clean work on this.
Doc