• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 25% Krier Kraft build, a tribute to grampa.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
LOVING this thread.....by all means keep adding to the history of your Granddad and the planes! The Krier Kraft is a beautiful and historic plane!

I noted you are going to use 2 aileron servos each. Is this just for the bottom ones, so they'll drive the top ailerons via slave struts?

Bipeguy03

150cc
LOVING this thread.....by all means keep adding to the history of your Granddad and the planes! The Krier Kraft is a beautiful and historic plane!

I noted you are going to use 2 aileron servos each. Is this just for the bottom ones, so they'll drive the top ailerons via slave struts?

Yes, the servos I'm going to use have 250oz of torque which should be more than enough as the ailerons aren't as crazy huge as a 3D airplane. Again grampa used his Krier as kind of a test platform. He built boost tabs on all the control surfaces, which had to be a rigging nightmare but he loved doing that stuff, and used standard servos (30-40 oz) and only one that drove all 4 ailerons.

For those that don't know, boost tabs are small tabs built into the control surface that is bolted fast to the opposite side of the hinge line so that it moves in the opposite direction of the control surface. For example, when the elevator moves up the tab moves down which helps "boost" the control surface.

Bipeguy03

150cc
I've spent the last few evenings working on the wing drawings. I changed the shape of wing tip to a more round shape, as that is the best I can come up with judging from pictures and dad's memory of grampa's. The original plans depict more of a Bucker type shape, and I don't think my tips are "scale" but again I'm trying to copy grampa.

35.jpg

I've got one side drawn. The wings are exactly the same top and bottom, the only differences are the bottom wing has grooved blocks for the landing gear and the servos for the ailerons, while the top wing has the cabane mounts. Therefore I'm just drawing one wing and the LEFT side depicts the BOTTOM wing while the RIGHT side depicts the TOP wing.

36.jpg

For the most part I'm sticking with the original construction. The original plans call for six, 1/4" square balsa spars. I'm changing that to 1/4" square basswood spars. I'm also changing the ribs from 3/32" balsa to 1/8" balsa with lightening holes, and the sheeting from 1/16" to 3/32". The wing tips will be laminated from Five 1/16" laminates. The ailerons will be cut free after most of the wing construction is finished and will be of the single bevel type with Klett style hinges.

The ribs in the center section will be made from 1/8" lite ply, with the ribs that support the landing gear and cabanes laminated to 1/4". The servos will be mounted in the wing on their side and attached to the plywood hatches so they will be easily removed for maintenance.