Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 25% Krier Kraft build, a tribute to grampa.

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale Scratch and Kit Build Threads' started by Bipeguy03, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Jetpainter

Jetpainter 640cc Uber Pimp

It looks great!

stangflyer and Bipeguy03 like this.
  2. stangflyer

stangflyer I like 'em "BIG"!

Yes it does. I can't wait for Wednesday. Oh wait, I will have to keep tabs via cell phone. Heading to Tri-Cities Wednesday.
    I am sure the maiden will go well.

Bipeguy03 and Jetpainter like this.
  3. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 150cc

Canada
    One step closer, make sure everything is perfect and you are ready then go for it.

Bipeguy03 likes this.
  4. Welp, got the small issues I had taken care of. Which was basically the tank mount came loose because I got too stingy with the glue and I added some pieces of smoke tubing around the neck of the ball links on the slave rods as vibration isolators.

Weather looks good tomorrow so after work, I'll get it run again and if all looks good we'll give it a go :)

5. The time has come, Fingers crossed guys!

pawnshopmike and Jetpainter like this.
  6. IT FLYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After pacing around for about an hour, we fired her up and I shoved the left stick forward. The take off roll was pretty easy going, it did pull to the left pretty good, but once I got to rotation speed I had plenty of rudder authority. After lift off she was still turning left some, 2 clicks of right aileron and 2 clicks of right rudder with a click of down trim and she was flying straight as a board.

She is definitely a sport plane, the ailerons have plenty of authority but took a little getting use to as I'm use to flying Ultimate's and Extra's. Rudder coordination in the turns is a must, with out it she turns about like kicking a pig. I have plenty of elevator authority, even with her being a touch nose heavy for the test flight. Although the fin and rudder looks small, it's a lot like a Pitts in that a little bit of rudder input goes a long way.

The thrust angles are 1 degree of right thrust and 1 degree of down, and with this engine set up it seems just about right, but will need to do a bit more testing to be sure. The engine was still running rich, and I need to increase the prop pitch a bit as she flew a little slow. She's a bipe in every sense, pull the power below half and she starts coming down. The landing wasn't too bad, just have to fly it in with the power. The wire gear with the Dubro air wheels are kind of bouncy on the pavement, but should have great shock absorption in the grass.

2 takeoffs, 2 landings, and both were pretty easy and uneventful. Here's a couple pics right after the test flights, I'll get the couple of videos up in a bit.

632.jpg

Quite a happy guy right here, knocky knees and all!! :D

631.jpg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  7. Jetpainter

Jetpainter 640cc Uber Pimp

Awesome! I'm so glad it went well. You did an amazing job and should be very proud. I'm glad you shared the journey with all of us.:yesss:

8. Videos are uploading to YouTube now, they are just cell phone videos so don't expect Scorsese quality! lol

stangflyer, Wacobipe and Jetpainter like this.
  9. Alky6

Alky6 150cc

Yes, congratulations! Very excited for your successful maiden! Beautiful machine you have built. What a tribute!!!!

10. First video!

stangflyer, mikeh, Wacobipe and 3 others like this.