• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHobbyShop 51" AJ Slick

ryan_m

100cc
Are you losing servo control when this happens too?
Mine is setup this exact same way, except I now have digital 5085's and still on the Ice internal BEC with no problems. I did take care to make certain my servos aren't trying to force the control surface past the stop point and causing a binding and current spike though.
I have mine set for current insensitive, medium timing, pwm of 12, low voltage on battery down to 4.0v (not 4/cell, but custom to 4.0), essentially trying to disable the low voltage cut, and also using fixed throttle endpoints. The fixed endpoints will require you to program your throttle endpoints, which is easy and takes a few minutes. There is a procedure on Castle's website for doing it in the technical documents. There are also youtube videos that show it.

St3v3

30cc
Everything still works, its just the power to the motor that I lose.

I'll have a try with those settings ryan_m, it may be that I'm hitting one of those limits.

gyro

GSN Contributor

I'll have a try with those settings ryan_m, it may be that I'm hitting one of those limits.

when you said you loose all power, I thought you meant everything. Sorry!

gyro

GSN Contributor

when you said you loose all power, I thought you meant everything. Sorry!

Castle controllers have a hard cutoff for the default settings. Battery voltage can really drop on long uplines and full throttle tumbles and ke spins. If the voltage drops below the cutoff value, the motor will shutoff. If you go to idle and back up the motor begin to run again.

How old are your batteries?

Its because you are in outrunner mode. Take it out of that and put the pwm on 8khz. I crashed my heli 3 times because of this. Castle is aware that outrunner mode does this with some motors.

njswede

150cc
I have 3000mAh Zippies with over a year on them and lots of abuse (such as forgetting to storage discharging them) and they're holding up OK. I don't think the batteries are the problem.

St3v3

30cc
Thanks for all of the advice, its all programmed and ready to go, now all I need is some good weather :)

I'd not used the Castle Link Adapter before and didn't realise how much info the esc had logged. looking at the graphs there was a low voltage cutoff, it had dropped to 12.8V (42.6A) so I'm guessing that was the cause, max current overall was 54.2A.