• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 70" Velox

ryan_m

100cc
If it were me I would go for the 4325-425 then. It is a custom wound kv, and will cost a bit more though. If you wanted to avoid that the 450 would probably be just fine. Some like a 19" prop on this plane, and with the 380 wind you will be turning a 19x10. For me I always felt that the plane had extremely noticeable torque effects with a 19" prop and preferred the 18" size props. The 4325-450 will have you on an 18x8, and that works quite well also. Pretty fast in the air, and still easy to 3d with. What I like about the 425 is the ability to run either a 19" or 18" prop. So you get to try out both and make up your own mind. It's a nice in-between kv that can get you fast and snappy with an 18x10, or really good hole-shot hover pullout power on a 19x8.

gyro

GSN Contributor
If it were me I would go for the 4325-425 then. It is a custom wound kv, and will cost a bit more though. If you wanted to avoid that the 450 would probably be just fine. Some like a 19" prop on this plane, and with the 380 wind you will be turning a 19x10. For me I always felt that the plane had extremely noticeable torque effects with a 19" prop and preferred the 18" size props. The 4325-450 will have you on an 18x8, and that works quite well also. Pretty fast in the air, and still easy to 3d with. What I like about the 425 is the ability to run either a 19" or 18" prop. So you get to try out both and make up your own mind. It's a nice in-between kv that can get you fast and snappy with an 18x10, or really good hole-shot hover pullout power on a 19x8.

Please correct me if I'm wrong [MENTION=81]Ken Man[/MENTION] but I don't think there is an extra charge for the 4325 to be wound at 425kv. All the motors in this class are hand made and wound individually by Ken regardless.
I think the extra charge only applies to the small motors that come pre-wound to Ken. (2820 and smaller).

Personally, I had a previous Velox on 4325-280 for 8s, and spinning a 19x10 and 20x8.... And I didn't like it nearly as much as the 18x10 on the 4325-425. In all honesty, I only bought this plane and motor again after flying Ryan's in Arkansas this past summer, and noticing how much more fun it was with the 18x10.

Good luck either way!

ryan_m

100cc
good to know on the winding charge! I know that sometimes I got charged, and sometimes not. Didn't really know why though.
I know there are at least 4 of us running the 4325-425's now, and all have loved them.

Ken Man

SITE SPONSOR
GSN SPONSOR
You are correct
I only charge extra if it's a wind I've not done before and not sure exactly what it will take. I know what turns and size wire it takes to get the 425 now so no extra charge for that.
All 3615 and larger motors are hand wound so if I've done a special Kv for some one once I should then have data on it to do again and would be no extra charge except for that first time winding it.
If I know what it will take to hit a Kv I have not done before I would then not charge extra either.

Where can I purchase the 425

You are correct
I only charge extra if it's a wind I've not done before and not sure exactly what it will take. I know what turns and size wire it takes to get the 425 now so no extra charge for that.
All 3615 and larger motors are hand wound so if I've done a special Kv for some one once I should then have data on it to do again and would be no extra charge except for that first time winding it.
If I know what it will take to hit a Kv I have not done before I would then not charge extra either.

ryan_m

100cc

What ESC are you guys using with the 4325-425

Castle edge 100 amp should be fine.

I'd say a 100 amp is treading very very close to the edge. That motor can pull around 2200-2400 watts depending on how good your batteries are and exactly what prop you run. So you are talking 100 - 110 amps roughly. I prefer at least a 110 amp esc, if not a 120.
I've run a Castle HV110 and Castle HV120 on that motor combo with great success. Also wouldn't hesitate to use a ZTW Gecko 125.
The Castle's often come up in the classifieds at fantastic prices. If you aren't in a huge hurry I would bet that one pops up here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-electric-power-systems-fs-w-285/
http://www.3drcforums.com/forumdisplay.php?38-Power-Systems-Electric
within two weeks. They don't last more than a day, so checking it a couple times a day is good.
If you go with ZTW they aren't very expensive even new.