• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3dhs 92" edge 540 !!!

Yowzilla

50cc
Well...I got side tracked with the fill tank...I could not resist the Secraft pump looks sweet and wanted to get it on the gas tank. The filter material is interesting and looks like the chips from all the machining. It looks like the stuff you want to keep from going in your engine.

That coil fuel line is a big pain to get on the larger nipple. Yes I said nipple. I had to use a heat gun to even have a chance at it. After burning my fingers while screaming, it got it as good as I could.

The blue line that comes with the tank has a flyer inside that mentions you must heat to get them on good. I guess the same material. On that,do you guys use safety wire on your fuel lines?

IMG_4068.jpgIMG_4069.jpgIMG_4070.jpgIMG_4071.jpgIMG_4073.jpgIMG_4074.jpg

Yowzilla

50cc
A lot of action and quite a bit of learning.

1. The GP-61, 3DHS 92" Edge and a Blazing Star 1.5 stand off will not work for me due to spinner - cowl offset of over 15mm.

I used 1/4"-20 bolts initially because they fit the blazing star offset and the holes in the template. All said and done this offset is too much. I found this out after I cut washers and bolt heads to get them to fit the GP-61...oh well...5 steps forward and 6 back..

So plan B. I used the wood offset and individual offsets included with GP-61. But, 1/4"-20 will not fit into the small aluminum offsets. So, trip to Lowe's and I picked up the only bolts I could find that were 2.5" long. SS 10-20 with Philips...not socket head....suck...

Moving forward. I got the fire wall cut using a cool dremal tool I found for cutting wood and plastic. I tried to create everything symmetrical but the tool cuts wood like butter and it was tough even a lower RPMs...

Tomorrow...I am working on the cowl. My cowl is not the worst I have seen so I should only need minimal shimming. You can see the photo.

Also there is a test in the pictures. See if you can find a major assembly error..and pic...

IMG_4091.jpgIMG_4092.jpgIMG_4093.jpgIMG_4094.jpgIMG_4096.jpgIMG_4103.jpgIMG_4104.jpgIMG_4098.jpgIMG_4102.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
A lot of action and quite a bit of learning.

1. The GP-61, 3DHS 92" Edge and a Blazing Star 1.5 stand off will not work for me due to spinner - cowl offset of over 15mm.

I used 1/4"-20 bolts initially because they fit the blazing star offset and the holes in the template. All said and done this offset is too much. I found this out after I cut washers and bolt heads to get them to fit the GP-61...oh well...5 steps forward and 6 back..

So plan B. I used the wood offset and individual offsets included with GP-61. But, 1/4"-20 will not fit into the small aluminum offsets. So, trip to Lowe's and I picked up the only bolts I could find that were 2.5" long. SS 10-20 with Philips...not socket head....suck...

Moving forward. I got the fire wall cut using a cool dremal tool I found for cutting wood and plastic. I tried to create everything symmetrical but the tool cuts wood like butter and it was tough even a lower RPMs...

Tomorrow...I am working on the cowl. My cowl is not the worst I have seen so I should only need minimal shimming. You can see the photo.

Also there is a test in the pictures. See if you can find a major assembly error..and pic...

View attachment 20046

You installed the engine upside down ;(

If you're willing to wait a few days, hit up [MENTION=24]cmala[/MENTION] at CustomStandoffs.com, and pick up some 32mm standoffs, you'll be much happier.

I also tried the wood mount with the stock GP standoffs, and after a few flights the engine was loose. The wood isn't hard enough to handle the focused pressure of the standoffs, and begins to indent/crush. I don't recommend it.

Yowzilla

50cc
[MENTION=3]GYRO[/MENTION] , You win...quickly...
I was looking at your build post and you put the standoffs between fire wall and the ply mount. I am assuming the firewall is the softest. I put mine between the engine case and the ply. The solid engine should keep the standoffs at 90 degrees all the time and the ply is against the soft fire wall. Think it will hold up better. And I will defiantly be nixing the ply....soon....

Also do you got a pic of your standoffs on your new red one?

Last edited by a moderator:

vegasking

70cc twin V2
I had no problem mounting my DA-60 using my mount on my Edge, it is similar to the Blazing Star. I wouldn't think that the GP-61 would be any different.

005.jpg 002.jpg 012.jpg

gyro

GSN Contributor
@GYRO , You win...quickly...
I was looking at your build post and you put the standoffs between fire wall and the ply mount. I am assuming the firewall is the softest. I put mine between the engine case and the ply. The solid engine should keep the standoffs at 90 degrees all the time and the ply is against the soft fire wall. Think it will hold up better. And I will defiantly be nixing the ply....soon....

Also do you got a pic of your standoffs on your new red one?

This isn't a pic from the new one, rather a photos from the old one after the change:
attachment.php

I had no problem mounting my DA-60 using my mount on my Edge, it is similar to the Blazing Star. I wouldn't think that the GP-61 would be any different.

View attachment 20056 View attachment 20057 View attachment 20058

Well, since the motors are not identical, the distance from prop hub to the back of the bell housing must be different. The GP-61 is not a one-for-one knock off of the DA-60.