Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

    We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

    Welcome!

Scale 50cc Scratch Build From My Own Design Revisited

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale Scratch and Kit Build Threads' started by Jetpainter, Oct 23, 2014.

   
  1. Woop!
     
    Jetpainter likes this.
  2. Very nice. I have enjoyed this build from the very beginning. Thank you for sharing with us!

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
     
    stangflyer, WMcNabb and Jetpainter like this.
  3. Jetpainter

    Jetpainter 640cc Uber Pimp

    Tonight I put Miss Moana back in the workshop and did a little tinkering. I added some straws to make it easier to tune and checked everything over.

    Tomorrow night I'm planning to check the elevators and make sure they travel evenly. I don't think I had then exactly even.

    20170627_220644_resized.jpg
     
    stangflyer, Wacobipe, JAG and 2 others like this.
  4. Snoopy1

    Snoopy1 150cc

    1,959
    2,350
    113
    Canada
    That looks nice and neat. Now to the holes perfectly lined up with cowl. The last one I did I used laser pointer and it worked out great.
     
  5. Jetpainter

    Jetpainter 640cc Uber Pimp

    Yep, they line up perfectly.:)
     
    stangflyer likes this.
  6. Congrats @Jetpainter !!!! Glad to see it in the air, and she is absolutely beautiful!!
     
    stangflyer and Jetpainter like this.
  7. Jetpainter

    Jetpainter 640cc Uber Pimp

    Thanks!
     
  8. Jetpainter

    Jetpainter 640cc Uber Pimp

    Tonight I check to make sure the elevators traveled the same. I should have done this before, but I didn't. They were relatively even at neutral when I started, but the right one had more travel up and down. All better now.
    20170628_195352_resized.jpg

    After fixing the elevators I installed my nose art. Miss Moana lives!

    20170628_211621_001_resized.jpg 20170628_211828_resized.jpg 20170628_233144_resized.jpg
     
    Alky6, HRRC Flyer, stangflyer and 5 others like this.
  9. Jetpainter

    Jetpainter 640cc Uber Pimp

    20170702_164644_resized.jpg 20170702_164407_resized.jpg 20170702_164433_resized.jpg 20170702_170734_resized.jpg As some of you may know if you saw my post in the "I'm going out flying" thread I took Miss Moana out yesterday and it turned into a very frustrating day indeed. For those of you that didn't see that post the first flight went well, other than the engine being rich. I did test the CG in a 45 degree inverted climb and it is tail heavy. The frustrating part came after the flight when I went to pull the hatch off to let the pipe cool and check the fuel. On the third of four screws it turned several turns before I heard a "POP" and the screw went back into the hole. We worked on it for over an hour and couldn't get it out. I ended up borrowing a hack saw blade from a guy and I was able to get the hatch just high enough to cut off the tab and get the hatch off.

    When I got it home, I finally did get the screw out, but even with being able to get to the back side now that the hatch was off, it fought me the whole way. The threads on both the screw and the nut don't look bad, but they're definitely screwed up.

    Well I guess that's what I get for being an idiot and not epoxying them in.
     
    stangflyer likes this.
  10. Jetpainter

    Jetpainter 640cc Uber Pimp

    Repairing the tab I had to saw off shouldn't be too hard, I'll Dremel out the leftover part in the hatch and make a new one. We did some damage to the outside trying to grab the bolt with pliers to put some pressure on the blind nut to get it out, with no luck. To get the hatch high enough to get the saw blade in there the bolt head also did it's own damage to the outside. None of it is that bad, just a pain.

    I need to change the balance before I fly it again. I'm going to replace the aluminum stab tubes with carbon fiber ones. If I can knock an ounce of at the stab, that's like adding 4 ounces or more to the nose. I'm also going to switch out my Falcon 23 x 8 for either a Mejzlik 23 x 8 or a 22 x 10, I have both. The Mejzlik 23 x 8 is over an ounce heavier than the Falcon, that's not much extra nose weight, but every little bit helps. Doing those two things makes a 5 ounce difference in the nose without any additional weight.

    I searched for more than an hour on the Internet last night trying to find carbon tubes that will work. These are Aeroworks tubes, and them and Graph Tech are the only ones that made a 12.5 mm thin wall carbon ones. Aeroworks probably got theirs from Graph Tech. Since they are no more it makes things much harder. I found several that were the correct outside diameter, but not thin wall thus no weight savings, but I'll come up with something.
     
    Alky6 and stangflyer like this.
Loading...

Share This Page