• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

64" mxs exp

thanks i'll give that a try!
i did the flat spots on both sides with set screws on both sides. then i crimped it with channel locks with i tightened the set screws and added dap of CA in the very top. somewhere Doc Austin (Iirc) has that method posted that method. no problems after i crimped it.

hey does anyone else notice this plane wants to snap out of knife edge if given large amounts of rudder? the only thing i have to compare it to is my 41 inch edge and it doesn't do that neither does my crack laser but that's not a fare comparison. i know the plane is design to snap well it just seems like i might be doing something wrong and given this takes about a 1/4 of the rudder input to hold knife edge or even to climb as my edge does

gyro

GSN Contributor
hey does anyone else notice this plane wants to snap out of knife edge if given large amounts of rudder? the only thing i have to compare it to is my 41 inch edge and it doesn't do that neither does my crack laser but that's not a fare comparison. i know the plane is design to snap well it just seems like i might be doing something wrong and given this takes about a 1/4 of the rudder input to hold knife edge or even to climb as my edge does

I personally haven't noticed this, and just watched Cody do some aggressive high beta knife edge turns and such this past weekend.
The rudder shouldn't cause the plane to snap out at all... I've had too much elevator cause a snap out but not too much rudder.

wedoitall

it does have some serious elevator authority and rudder. but never had rudder snap out on knife edge BUT cant say I have ever tried to snap it out either, except with some KE snaps

Are you being careful not to give any other inputs when in KE? The MXS is an awesome plane and if your not used to the EXP's as I wasn't it will take a few flights to get the feel for her. Id say at least 20 flights or so before I felt comfortable with it. After that I started turning my expo down. Are you using much expo? I started out, if I remember right, 70 on ailerons and 65 rudder/elevator.

cwojcik

70cc twin V2

The MXS has an insane amount of rudder authority at full throw can cause it to go through some pitch changes during really hard rudder movements. However, if you are getting these in a KE loop or something you probably have too much throw. Save the insane rudder rate for tumbles and flat spins and use about 45 degrees or less for other maneuvers.

However, I've recently moved the CG forward on my MXS and noticed that it has gotten a lot better in pitch stability during hard yaw maneuvers. I am near the front of the recommended CG range and it is just ahead of neutral. With the CG there I can do KE walls, snap-turns, and hard KE loops with a lot more stability. I achieved this CG with a 3300 mah pack by placing it so the front of the pack is about 1/8" back from the F1 former.

jmart95

70cc twin V2
I've definitely noticed that with my dads 64. It's got a slight bit of coupling(wants to roll to level), and with lots of rudder, it makes it want to snap out. Also in a ke spin I'm always working the ailerons, having to switch between about half half stick of right aileron and left aileron, with minor corrections, because the coupling puts it into a positive flat spin, and I've tried everything from full rudder(didn't look good!) to no rudder at all(rudder to get in to the spin, but once it was locked in I let off the rudder). It took a few flights, but after getting used to it's characteristics it makes for a pretty awesome plane!

i only notice this with when attempting a knife edge loop or really slow knife edge like ke harrier which i've seen daniel holman do with this plane but i'm not daniel holman. i run 3300s in this plane too, and if the f1 former is the first brace in front of the wing tube i'm about 1/4 inch ahead of it, but i also have my esc set pretty far back it requires just a little push on the elevator when inverted and will hold a 45 degree upline inverted for a long time, so i assumed i was pretty close. all my hinge gaps are sealed too don't know if that makes a difference. it will do a level knife edge or gain a little bit of altitude wonderfully but when i get to far on the stick it wants to roll out or snap

Last edited by a moderator:

wedoitall

i ended up taking the seals off my hinges on the ailerons and left them on the rudder and elevator on my mxs. i like the way it handles better w/o seals on ailerons.

wedoitall

i got inspired to start flying to music after watching videos of the contest from this past weekend. i thought i would try it out this evening. first flight with music was with the MXS. it was amazing, my best flight by far. glad Renea was there to see it.

i hit LVC on final approach and got lucky and glided her in some tall weeds with no damage, whew. i thought for sure i turn lvc off.