• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D 73" AJ Laser 230Z

Tseres

150cc
Can I ask you what size the ball links are in the kit? I still need to order horns for my 7955's and I was going to get the 4-40's but am going to hold off. I'd rather not have to replace the links if possible. Thanks in advance...Jake

I'll check for you later on today Jake. I didn't pay attention to the size. I do know it's metric.

Thanks, its not a huge deal, may end up going with different ball links as well but its always nice to be able to just use the included hardware.

Tseres

150cc
Sorry it took so long. I didn't get the pane out of the trailer till this afternoon. The ball end of the link is a 2.0 mm screw. I think that is what your looking for to know what size servo arms to get. This is the size screw that goes through the servo arm.

Incase anyone wants to know the turn buckle or pushrod side of the ball link is a 2.5mm thread.

Sorry it took so long. I didn't get the pane out of the trailer till this afternoon. The ball end of the link is a 2.0 mm screw. I think that is what your looking for to know what size servo arms to get. This is the size screw that goes through the servo arm.

Incase anyone wants to know the turn buckle or pushrod side of the ball link is a 2.5mm thread.
Thank you very much, big help!

Tseres

150cc
The Plan for the Laser was to fly it at Joe Nall after I picked up the new Cannopy... My Transmitter was acting up so that never happened. My Friend Dan Landis took it back with him to Hobbyco and got it fixed. New board and an antenna. They even tested it by flying with it for a day. Gave it back to me yesterday with a clean bill of health. Meanwhile I scored a new 14 SG. Now I have two transmitters that work. :)

Yesterday I was also invited to a fly in and Wedding Reception for Jenni and Greg Alderman. Had a great time all day... The only way I can describe the day was FUN. I managed to program and get 2 flights in with the Laser on the new transmitter. The first flight lasted about 6 minutes and ended in a dead stick landing. I found the plane to nose heavy and ended up moving the batteries back. The CG now is somewhere around the front half of the wing tube. This is where I like it. I'm going to mount it permanently when I get a chance. The second flight with the new CG went to my liking and had a full flight without incident. I'll have to do some knife edge mixing the next time out. It's still not set up but it's getting close.

IMG_0633.JPG
IMG_0634.JPG
IMG_0642.JPG
IMG_0645.JPG

Last edited:

2walla

50cc
Maidened my laser thursday. My buddy and i each bought lasers and da 35's. Both of us agree it is an Excellent plane! And we are very happy overall. Covering was excellent, i could see glue on most of the the joints! Hurray!!! Hardware was just ok, The ball links wont thread on the larger rod and the holes are too small to thread into most threaded aluminum arms My canopy latch popped out and my buddys dowel pins came out So look at adding some glue there in both places. I would pop the latch out and reglue. Mine was barely glued in and fell out the second time i put the canopy on. Rumor has it that supatim lost the hatch on his and lost the whole plane. so it is definatly the weak point.

The huge disappointment was the carbon fiber falcon propellor. What a POS. paul had trouble drilling his and had to ream the holes oversize to fit. I drilled mine and had the same problem. I initially assumed i had f'ed it up and I turned it 90 and redrilled again and it still didn't fit. Turns out with a bit of checking the faces are NOT parallel and the center hole is not perpendicular to either face. I chucked mine straight into the garbage. After seeing how much smoother my 35 was with a valley view prop, my buddy swapped out to a loaner wood prop that I had. Much less vibration with the wood prop. And his falcon went into the trash too. Oh and the two wood props i drilled fit fine- it aint my first rodeo drilling props so i dont want or need advice. When the prop isnt made right you arent going to get good results drilling it. Maybe we got seconds-who knows? They werent right so that was a 60 lesson learned each..
All in all the plane gets an A, the da35 an A and falcon prop gets an F. If you are on the fence just do it. Itis a great plane.