• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Aerobeez "BANSHEE" 91" Slick build

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
It was an impressive airplane, it had zero coupling on knife edge up until a fully stalled high alpha, zero wing rock upright or inverted, required very little rudder input to maintain inverted harrier, had a ballistic roll rate, was a MONSTER on power with the DA70... Hard to resist such an airplane.

Tonight I'd like to cut open the damaged wing to see how extensive it is. All I saw was some pieces inside of the wing floating around, if none of it is structural then I'll just repair it and seal it back up- at that point I'll just need a new complete fuselage and cowl, a rudder, and a landing gear set :)

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
It takes about 2 days for the sick to your stomach feeling to go away. For me it takes about a week before I get the will to fly again and lose the negative attitude. Well, ok ,I never lost the negative attitude, but there isn't one of us on this forum that has not been in this situation. It sucks. I have a question though. If it was loss of signal of one or both receivers, would failsafe kick in differently on each one? Do they have to be set separately? I have always just run one receiver and the old A9, so I have no clue how that works.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I can't say what the cause was, like I said most of the plugs (power including) were disconnected from the receivers. I have no idea if that was from the crash, or it happened in flight (did I mention this thing spins like a top in a pop top?? Maybe that unplugged the receiver..). You can do 2 receivers on the original A9 using the Minima series, but you can't with the Optima series. Don't recommend the Minima on a giant..

It happens to us all, some airplanes last forever, some don't make it past the first flight. All in the risk we take, no sense in beating yourself up real bad over it. Usually for me it's a day or 2 of being bummed out then I'm over it and back to figuring out a solution to my dilemma.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
That's so cool Tanner cuz I really hate myself when I make myself stupid mad over a toy. I know I got some years on ya but that don't mean :steamer:. It is so frustrating when a cause can't be found:gnashing:.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Man that must have been painful. SORRY to see that. But it is always easier to except if you did something stupid but if you destroy a plane and you have no idea what happened are the most painful.
If I may suggest get or buy a old beater install every thing the same as the smashed plane fly the hell out of it and see if it happens again. Because I would not install it in another plane not knowing.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Battery voltage after crash? mah put back in after charge? I know that's basic but it's about the only thing that seems to cause "brown out's" these days.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Doubt it was a brown out. Packs were still at 8.2 volts each, put a whole 200mah back in each pack the night before because of how efficient the brushless servos are.

Went down into the shop and cut the bottom of the right wing panel open to see what the damages were. The 4 outside ribs had a crack in each of them, and there was another piece of balsa that got knocked loose. Otherwise I couldn't tell if there was any other damage, it all looked surprisingly in tact. I will repair this wing panel and slap some new covering on, I see no reason to replace it with a new wing panel. Might as well saturate all of the joints inside with CA too.

One thing you guys might not know is there is actually carbon fiber infused longerons inside of the wing to help aid in its strength. I'll have to get a picture tomorrow, I've already closed the shop for the night.