• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

AJ Laser 230z 73" Build Thread

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I have been at a standstill with my build. Got busy doing other things with the incredible weather here lately. I had to put a new cowl on the Slick, and do a recover on some 40 size tail feathers to keep me flying. Figuring out my exhaust has been exhausting to say the least. I want quiet, but don't want to loose performance. Which exhaust did you go with again [MENTION=4031]dcraft[/MENTION] ?

dcraft

30cc
No flights yet. Work schedule and our deluge of rain here has not allowed it, the field had a out 3 inches of standing water. I had an interesting time fitting the cowl with the DA35. Finally got it. I installed the Jtec Pitts muffler. I also adjusted the choke arm to allow a pushrod to exit on the lower right side of the cowling.

I have been at a standstill with my build. Got busy doing other things with the incredible weather here lately. I had to put a new cowl on the Slick, and do a recover on some 40 size tail feathers to keep me flying. Figuring out my exhaust has been exhausting to say the least. I want quiet, but don't want to loose performance. Which exhaust did you go with again [MENTION=4031]dcraft[/MENTION] ?
I'm still undecided on the exhaust as well. Most likely going with a pitts, but I'd like to learn more about the large version and more importantly if it'll fit.....I completely understand the break from building, mine is moving quite slowly as well.

No flights yet. Work schedule and our deluge of rain here has not allowed it, the field had a out 3 inches of standing water. I had an interesting time fitting the cowl with the DA35. Finally got it. I installed the Jtec Pitts muffler. I also adjusted the choke arm to allow a pushrod to exit on the lower right side of the cowling.
Darn mother nature! Out of curiosity what made the cowl install so interesting? I am a few days away in my build from starting on mounting the motor.

dcraft

30cc
Here are some pics on the business end of the plane. I am using a Ultra IBEC for getting power to the ignition. I attempted to show the pushrod working the choke (it exits the right lower side of the cowl). I drilled an access hole in the cowl, and inserted a grommet to keep the rod from eroding the fiberglass. The cowl, trust me, it fits...just leaving it off for the first few flights. I'm thinking the DA35 sets taller than the DLE30, and that is why I had to remove more in order for it to fit. There is a slight cutout extending from the main cut, and that allows for the ignition cable to lay in a natural position. Probably overkill, but there is no stress on anything once installed. The engine started right up, and has about two tanks of gas run through it. I have not touched any fuel adjustments. I had an issue with the fuel line resting on the muffler, but that is fixed now. When working with the choke lever on the DA35, just be prepared to spend a few minutes. I thought I could run it out to the left, and did, but when the throttle move through its range of motion, they conflicted with each other.
230z 4.JPG230z 3.JPG230z 2.JPG230z 1.JPG

dcraft

30cc
One last thing, those two holes next to the muffler pipe exits, that was my goof up. I transferred the holes wrong when I was tracing them out for cutting. Tomorrow, you will never know they were there:)

Looks nice and clean to me. I have done the same thing with a choke rod in the past. Maybe in the future some of the manufacturers will put more thought into simplifying the choke and needle setups. It would be cool if you could simply adjust the needles from a safe position while the motor is running, or maybe even from your radio. Looks like she is air ready. By chance have you tached the rpm with 20x8 Xoar?